Flush mistake

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AsacNJ

I just picked up a 1999 GSX limited. And of course I screw up right out of the gate…
Was getting the engine started for fist time and had jump pack hooked up. I had hose connected to flush port. Not having checked and just been a boat guy my whole life I turned the hose on before the engine multiple times maybe 10 seconds before starting up. Then to make it worse I turned off the engine while water still running. I did this like 4 times since ski hasn’t run in over a year.

Pulled the plugs and there was no water in cylinders.

I also checked the oil no water in there either.

facepalm. It did start right up the whole time with no issues, and then after I found out how to correctly flush the ski I completed the steps correctly. It happened about 10 hours ago not sure how I can be sure I didn’t damage the ski.

Did I ruin my ski?

Attachments

• 5ACC1ADA-8083-4596-920F-7D3C26A4D1E1.jpeg
    5ACC1ADA-8083-4596-920F-7D3C26A4D1E1.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 46
well, since it starts... go for a run. This will not only dry out any potential parts, but if you still get the acceleration and top speed it had before - you're fine.

also, DO NOT use a jump pack. you could fry the MPEM and be out a good chunk of change... $200-$600. Use only the correct new battery. Much cheaper than frying the computer.

I had one of those, it's wicked fun. Not the carver like my 02 XP was. More like a 4x8 sheet of plywood with too much engine... which made it just a blast!

well, since it starts... go for a run. This will not only dry out any potential parts, but if you still get the acceleration and top speed it had before - you're fine.

also, DO NOT use a jump pack. you could fry the MPEM and be out a good chunk of change... $200-$600. Use only the correct new battery. Much cheaper than frying the computer.

I had one of those, it's wicked fun. Not the carver like my 02 XP was. More like a 4x8 sheet of plywood with too much engine... which made it just a blast!
Awesome thanks I’ll run it today feet gonna be cold! Hah

No way to get water in the oil.

Since it started every time it should be fine. Typically when you flood them the engine is hydro locked since the pistons can’t compress water and you have to pull the spark plugs out to pump the water out.

Following up... that thing rips climbed the ladder perfectly sounded quiet didn't even go for top speed because it was so fast haha #Yew. I was close to full throttle but was first time riding ski, owned boat my whole ife.

Thanks for the help here.

Now for the bad news, I found a patch on the bottom where someone like made a really bad repair and now sure if I was riding low. Going to have my buddy who works in the Coast Guard do a full overhauls of the bottom he is awesome with fiberglass. When I bought it the temp was 80 out and the patch was smooth and hard (thats what she said) but then after the run the patch was not glossy to the finish and it was a little tacky honestly felt like silicone.

Overall pissed I missed this on the ski but really happy with the engine thing rips. I'm an idiot.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpeg
    unnamed.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 35
Looks like MarineTex or another marine epoxy.

Honestly not that big of a deal as long as it’s structurally sound.

Also looks like an aftermarket intake grate.

Awesome description.........."4x8 plywood with too much engine" , very poetic !!!

Why not use a jump pack ? I'm new to a '97 GTS and jet skis. Love it. Yesterday we were out on a lake and a buddy needed a jump start. We used a pickup truck battery at the ramp and it fired up but later when it died we went looking for a jump pack which we never found .... towed him to the docks.

Thanks
-DT

Why not use a jump pack ? I'm new to a '97 GTS and jet skis. Love it. Yesterday we were out on a lake and a buddy needed a jump start. We used a pickup truck battery at the ramp and it fired up but later when it died we went looking for a jump pack which we never found .... towed him to the docks.

Thanks
-DT
It will fry the electronics.
Buy a good battery, charge it with a trickle charger when not on the water and you should never need a jump.

It will fry the electronics.
Buy a good battery, charge it with a trickle charger when not on the water and you should never need a jump.
Jump pack vs boost pack, do not use which ever one puts out more than 13v.

The common booster pack is just a battery similar to the battery in the ski and is fine for startin. Same as boosting from a non running car. The problem here is the surge from one voltage to another can cause electral problems.

Using a boost pack though like the new style supercapqcitor type puts out nearly 17v and mqn will they crank these engines fast and hard. The problem is that it's too much for the computer and will damage it if it doesn't pop the fuse but also you are certain to fry the regulating side of the rectifier.
This is what leads to the ski making too much voltage later on and the mpem acting like its on a rev limiter.

So people simply say don't boost it at all even though it does work. There are just too many cases of something this simple causing damage.
Best thing to do is remove the battery and charge it. It will also be easier on the charging system with a good charged battery.

Jump pack vs boost pack, do not use which ever one puts out more than 13v.

The common booster pack is just a battery similar to the battery in the ski and is fine for startin. Same as boosting from a non running car. The problem here is the surge from one voltage to another can cause electral problems.

Using a boost pack though like the new style supercapqcitor type puts out nearly 17v and mqn will they crank these engines fast and hard. The problem is that it's too much for the computer and will damage it if it doesn't pop the fuse but also you are certain to fry the regulating side of the rectifier.
This is what leads to the ski making too much voltage later on and the mpem acting like its on a rev limiter.

So people simply say don't boost it at all even though it does work. There are just too many cases of something this simple causing damage.
Best thing to do is remove the battery and charge it. It will also be easier on the charging system with a good charged battery.
Thanks you for the answers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back