Fixing the old faded switches

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Honda

Hi All,

On my new Islandia project, all the switch icons are faded and/or warn off. I know there was another thread where a guy printed up some very nice labels that went above the switch cluster... but they weren't usable for an islandia.

So, I was making some stickers for a few members here... and it dawned on me that I may be able to cut new little icons. After an hour or so... I came up with some new Icons. I couldn't make the exact icons because they are very small, and the resolution of my cutter can't handle it. But... here's what I came up with.

107.jpg

Horn ..............Bilge Fan ............... Low Bat .................Engine Light

Nav Lights ..............Dock Lights ..............Boarding lights..............Deck Lights

Bilge Pump..............Low Fuel ..............Fountan..............Fresh Water

I successfully cut these in white vinyl, and I will get them on the switches in the next day or two. And yes... I will post a pic.

As an FYI... They are small enough to put on the little square.

Good idea

I like what you've done there. I have five switches on my panel. Horn, bilge, blower, running lights, and interior lights. Mine aren't identified in any way and it doesn't look like they ever were. The rubber around my fan switch is gooey for some reason and is disintegrating. I'm not sure if something got on it to cause this. Haven't had much luck finding a replacement.

Peace

At one time, there were little icons on the switches, but like most of these boats... it only takes a couple years for them to fade to nothing. On my boat, there is ZERO white paint on the switches, but if you look at them at an angle... you can see the remnants of the icons on the colored windows.

If it stops raining... I'll get them put on tonight, and post a pic.

Go here... http://www.oempartsllc.com/switches-actuators.aspx
They've got the actuators you need for $1 each. Carling Contura II or III are the ones that fit, and make sure to get the hard plastic.
I also had the soft rubber type and they break down from age/UV. I also got a removal tool that helps pop them off, but I got it elsewhere. Google 'contura actuator removal tool'. I bought extras since they're only a buck each, but didn't try to see if the nickel colored ones ($2) or curved ones would fit our switches. May look cool though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch bezels

Go here... http://www.oempartsllc.com/switches-actuators.aspx
They've got the actuators you need for $1 each. Carling Contura II or III are the ones that fit, and make sure to get the hard plastic.
I also had the soft rubber type and they break down from age/UV. I also got a removal tool that helps pop them off, but I got it elsewhere. Google 'contura actuator removal tool'. I bought extras since they're only a buck each, but didn't try to see if the nickel colored ones ($2) or curved ones would fit our switches. May look cool though.

Did your original switches have lights? Mine do and I'd like to keep them visible but I didn't see that style of actuators (bezels) on the web page.

Thanks

P.S. Do you have any idea where I can get a through hull cord grip for use under the waterline? I currenly have the transducer to my fish finder siliconed in the bilge area but it gives inconsistent readings. I'd like to mount it to the hull with the bracket but the end of the cable that goes into the fish finder is about 1/2" in diameter. I'll have to drill a hole in the hull at least that big and because of the way the transom is, the hole will be near or under the water. I saw these on the net before when I was looking for something else but forgot where.

Hi Guys,

I had a few things going on today... so I didn't go into the shop. And... the sun is out, so I deiced to put the stickers on. They are a little chunky... but they will get the job done.

The vinyl I used is the same "7-year" vinyl that I cut hull graphics with. So... once the glue is set... they should last a very long time.

Let me know what you think.

BEFORE

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

AFTER

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

Thanks. I wasn't sure at first... but they look better now that I've stepped away.

As far as the switches... yep, there's a bunch... and in 2001, there was one more. There was a low fuel warning switch, but I guess they dumped it, since there is a light, and a gauge.

Those look great Dr.H. Highly visible, which is better than OEM or the ones on the link.

Yes, buckeye, mine has green lights on the switches. I only have 5 switches on my boat...bilge blower, bilge pump, horn on top row. Then interior lights and nav. lights on bottom row. I bought a set of Contura II ones with the pics and white lenses. The green light shows thru at nite. I also bought a set of the Cont. III that have the 2 horiz. lenses on top with writing instead of pics for spares. My lenses were so dirty that I didn't even know the switches had light until i popped off the actuators!

No idea on the thru hull cord, but I'd just cut 1/2" hole w/a hole saw and then dremmel a slit for the cord to pass thru and silicone the hell out of it.

As far as the switches... yep, there's a bunch... and in 2001, there was one more. There was a low fuel warning switch, but I guess they dumped it, since there is a light, and a gauge.

yah with that many ... I'd want some decals too !!

Has anyone replaced the switches in a Challenger 2000 (2001 in my case)?

My blower switch seems to be failing. I have to switch it on and off several times to get the blower to turn on.

I see the link from above http://www.oempartsllc.com/switches.aspx sells switches and actuators and I was wondering if the switches will work for the blower on that boat. Some of my lights switches seem to be failing, but I never have the boat out after dark. If they will work (which ones) or if someone can suggest something that will work I will purchase a set. I see used ones for quite a bit of $$$ on ebay and I don't need a switch that is older than what I already have.

Thanks

When I bought my boat... I changed one switch that was roasted. And... funny you mention the blower... mine started doing that this year also. I thought it was the actual blower... but after playing with it... I realized it was the switch.

None of the switches on the site are EXACTLY like what's in the seadoo's. But, any of the Contura's will work.

If you check ebay... I'm sure you can find what you need. I know on Great Lakes Skipper... they have the proper switch, although, it has the wrong label on the rocker. It about $23 with shipping. BUT... if you find him on ebay... it's a little cheaper.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/sea-doo-jet-boat-on-off-rocker-switch

You can see how there is the 2 "Contact" terminals on the bottom... and then 2 light terminals on the top. Most of the cheaper versions I've found only have one terminal for the lights. (I will have to dig in the wiring diagram to figure out the diff)

Doc,
Thanks as always for your help.

I did a quick ebay search of Carling blower switches and I came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOWER-MOTOR-SWITCH-BOAT-ON-OFF-V1D1-BLACK-CARLING-CONTURA-II-2-WHITE-LIGHTED-/151070994581?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item232c887095&vxp=mtr

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLING-SWITCH-V1D1-ONOFF-CARLING-2-RED-LENSES-BLOWER-/151056579592?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item232bac7c08&vxp=mtr

I found that the Carling blower switches come with 1 light or 2. The cheaper ones with a single light appear to have only 3 posts on the back and the one with 2 lights has 4. The pictures don't always show the back, so I can't be 100% sure, but that may be the difference.

Do you know if the SeaDoo's have the 2 lights and 4 posts or 1 light with 3 posts?

Hopefully I can find something that works, because I don't want to mess around with a faulty blower issue.

Thanks,
Brian

It's kind of a hybrid.

All the seadoo switches have 4 terminals. But... as far as I can tell... they are single bulb. BUT... they are wired like a 2 light switch. So... the light turns on with either the dash lights, or with the switch turning on.

I'm not sure. I don't know how they are wired internal. I'm sure they could work... but the issue is, if they "Pin out" the same. I would say... the worst case, is you may have to move the wires around in the plug.

Dr. Honda,
I was wondering if you ever changed your blower switch this season. I was having some intermittent issues for most of the summer where I would have to flick the switch a few times every so often to get it to work. Well now it doesn't work at all and its a pain to have to open up and air out.

If you made a change can you confirm what worked? I linked an ebay listing earlier this summer and I will place the order later if it matches or if you have a better suggestion of what to use I will do that.

Thanks

Yes.... Sort of.

Most of this season it was working... so I kind of forgot about it. But, I was out on the water a few weeks ago, and it started acting up again. After sitting for a couple min... I thought to myself.... "I don't need the engine light switch". (The islandia has a light in the engine compartment, and I'm never out at night) So... I swapped the the switches, and covers, while the kids were swimming. It's worked fine ever since.

If I remember... I'll order an actual surplus seadoo switch from Great Lakes Skipper. They are a couple $$$ more... but I know it's a "Plug in" version.

Great idea Doc! The switches on my brother's boat are also faded. What are you using to cut these? Are you going to be selling these? Let me know.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=181232801728

I finally got tired of messing around with the blower switch and ordered a new on on Ebay from the posted link. It is a Carlingswitch V1D1 Contura 2. It fits and works perfectly as do the lights. I should have fixed it earlier. Just letting others know that this $20 replacement works.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back