First time posting...98 XP Ltd. Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1999XPLtd

First time posting...

My buddy has a 98 XP Ltd. He has a problem where it will run from the go but once it gets going and gets warmed up it will shutoff and won't restart until the engine has cooled down again. My one suggestion is a heat sensor or other sensor somewhere along the drivetrain or engine....

Anyone have any ideas?

Do the feel test to see if the motor is getting too hot. You should be able to touch the motor and it be hot but not... OMG its HOT!

If its not overheating then most likely its the needles and seats in the carbs. When they dont shut all the way it runs rich and floods it. When its cold the engine can handle the extra fuel. While your in the carbs rebuild them, and change out the grey fuel lines if they are still in there.

Could be the opposite of what Minne is saying, there might be a restriction in the fuel system, gummed up grey fuel line, plugged up filter, or selector switch, kinked line etc. Once it dies and sits a few minutes the fuel can slip past the restriction, then there will be enough fuel in the lines to get going again. But once the fuel gets drained from the replenished lines it will stall out again.

If this happening it will usually sputter a bit before it dies. Either way go over the fuel system if its not overheating, could be too much fuel or not enough. If there are grey fuel lines there is a good chance that is the cause, even if it is not the cause CHANGE THEM ANYWAYS!

Brock, he said it does beep before it shuts off, leading me to believe its some kind of sensor. But....

I will check into the needle, seats, carbs and grey fuel lines, on his XP and mine... see what I can come up with.

Thanks everyone!

Its not a restriction if it runs like a top for 5-10 mins then starts bogging, or is hard warm starting. That should be a constant problem. LOL Im arguing a point where the solution is the same anyways. Fuel system Restoration

If its beeping the engine is overheating most likely and has something plugged. If it constantly beeps the sensor is bad, but is not likely the reason it runs bad.

Didn't realize he was able to run it that long before it died.

If it is beeping before it dies if I am not mistaken the only warnings that beep are oil level and overheating, assuming the beeper and sensors are working properly.

The beepers / sensors however will not shut off the engine for you... the 98 XP simply isn't that smart. Over fueling won't usually over heat... I'd think that would be a lean conditin.

I agree with a fuel issue.

If you want someone in your area to look at it for you, I have a friend in Harrisburg who has a constant 2-3 week backlog of work and is much cheaper than a dealer. He's the one who taught me most of what I know.

I would check the fuel lines, filter, carbs, carb filters, and cooling system, but since it's 33 outside here in PA, it may be a bit chilly for riding :)

I agree with Minne, I was going to say that it sounds like it's running rich, but the cold engine can handle that. (and he beat me to it)

Did something jam the choke plates closed? or pull on them so they are currently not wide open?

While your in there, get us a compression reading as well.

Since it's winter, just get those carbs off and clean everything up. You can remove them WITHOUT removing the pipe. Do NOT remove that pipe unless you have to, it's not fun to get back on.

Remove the 2 air 'horns' from the top of the engine. there should be a washer on each side, don't lose these parts, they are stainless steel and not cheap to replace. Don't not install a part because you dropped it. Don't be lazy / cheap.

Unstrap the oil tank, leave in the hull. Remove the enormous air box, un-clip on top, then out the FRONT of the ski.

Stand on the port side of the ski, and use a 8mm allen wrench on a 2" long 1/4" extension w/a 1/4" ratchet to remove the carb bolts. You will need new carb gaskets to reinstall. (I think it's 8mm, might be 6)

Drop the carbs off the engine to the hull, remove the fuel lines, there is an IN, an OUT, and a pulse line. There is also the pull cable from the throttle. Flip the carbs upside down in the hull and you easily remove the throttle cable. then slide out the front.

I've done so many by now I could almost do it blind...

Your carbs should be: High Speed: Closed. Low: 1.5 turns OUT from closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back