First outing lasted 3 minutes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdirtdaddy

I took my new 2007 seadoo 150 speedster 215 hp out for the first time today. It ran beautifully for about 3 minutes. I headed back to shore to pick up some passengers. I ran up on some gravel and sucked some 1.5 to 2" gravel up in to the water intake passage. It sounded like a blender momentarily. I pulled it on out into deeper water and the grinding sound stopped. The boat now cavitates whenever I try to accelerate. I pulled it out of the water and the impeller looks chipped and worn. Is this the reason for the cavitation? Can I replace the impeller myself? How much will the impeller cost? Where can I order one? Am I better off taking it back to the dealer. It is one day old. :ack:

Hi, sorry to here what happened to your new toy, SBT have exchange impellers for $25 bucks, check the wear ring while you have it out, you will need an impeller removal tool to take the impeller out about $25 as well, it is recommended not to run your boat in less than 60cm of water, i normally keep a bit (1-2 knots) of speed as i am heading towards the beach then shut it down when water level gets low.
sometimes you can file the rough bits off and fix the cavitation but at this price replace it.

Very good advice!

Very good advice Gunsrunner!.....only one thing to add. With the ski being one day old, I'd do the least and call the dealer you bought it from. See what their comments are.

If this type of use isn't covered under the warranty and insurance, then yes, order the impeller and do it yourself. It's a very simple procedure. You'll also need the bearing grease to put back in after pulling the shaft. You should also measure the clearance on your wearing ring and impeller. You should have a maximum wear clearance of .35 mm (.014"), you may need to order it too if that measurement is bad. Before ordering those parts, I'd check the side to side play to see if you did any bearing damage. If you were only in the gravel bed a few seconds, they are probably o.k.

I think the insurance you purchased when buying the ski may pay for the cost of repair. So, check into that aspect first.

Also, I just noticed that SBT doesn't have the web site up to date with the 2007 models yet. But you can call toll-free: 1.877.330.0231 and let them know what you need, I'm sure they can fix you up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the adivice. We will carry the boat back to the dealer and let them take a look at it. If they charge too much, we can get the parts and replace them ourselves.

Yes....

Correct....don't let them do the work. With you just now getting into the Seadoo's....you can buy a couple of the parts (impeller removal tool) and be surprised at how much work you can do yourself. Specially here, with all the help around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back