Fire Extinguishers

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikidymac

Staff member
Just thought I would post this since we always overlook the safety stuff it seems. So by law we are all required to have fire extinguishers on our skis and it's just a good idea.

Now, there is a recall on all Kidde plastic valve fire extinguishers from all years and this includes the plastic pop up ones found on every Seadoo. So I made the call and got all 9 of mine replaced under the recall for free
cadaed0dd7edee07e2cb1ea5c128dc68.jpg
a few weeks ago. Now this is where the issue is before all of you make the call. It appears that they have completely eliminated the pop-up watercraft extinguishers and went to a new design and the issue is they do not fit in the Seadoo's.

They are too fat to fit in the compartments. I have a call into Kidde and will report back once I hear from their Tech Team. At this point I am not mailing back my old recalled ones until they have some kind of resolution.

Just thought I would post this since we always overlook the safety stuff it seems. So by law we are all required to have fire extinguishers on our skis and it's just a good idea.

Now, there is a recall on all Kidde plastic valve fire extinguishers from all years and this includes the plastic pop up ones found on every Seadoo. So I made the call and got all 9 of mine replaced under the recall for free
a few weeks ago. Now this is where the issue is before all of you make the call. It appears that they have completely eliminated the pop-up watercraft extinguishers and went to a new design and the issue is they do not fit in the Seadoo's.

They are too fat to fit in the compartments. I have a call into Kidde and will report back once I hear from their Tech Team. At this point I am not mailing back my old recalled ones until they have some kind of resolution.

I did the same thing. I'm keeping my old one, eff that. I don't want some big a$$ fire extinguisher banging around in my storage bin.

It looks like it may have to be mounted externally if they don’t find a resolution to make it for to the extinguisher containers

My 99 GTi didn’t come with one. When I refurbed my ski I pulled the storage bins to scrub them, removing both storage cylinders. I took the fire extinguisher bin down to the local motor factor, and just tried a few and got the best fitting item. Was only £10 and fits like it was made to be there. For the sake of calling a hundred people back and forth, especially at this time of year, £10 is a good price.

While I agree that the new fat ones could be made to work, in my opinion that isn't the point. If they are going to do a recall they need to replace them in like kind. All of my skis have either a fire extinguisher tube or molded spot that only fit the older skinny one. I am not going to start cutting on my skis to fit the wrong extinguisher. My HX, 2001 XP and 2003 GTI only have a spot for the tall skinny one and fitting the new fat one would be very hard, especially the XP since there is just a small molded bin under the hood.

what a joke. How a safety company can get away with this is ridiculous. I had some issues with some alarms last year and the customer service I delt with was beyond laughable.

What's even crazier Nick is that the recall spans from January 1973 to August 2017 and 37.8 Million units.

So in 44 years and 38 million units nobody ever noticed there was a problem until now?

Heck the one in the picture I purchased in September of this year from Wal-Mart for my HX resto and it is even recalled.

The only thing I have an issue with is that they are not replacing the defective ones "in-like-kind". Heck, I would probably just buy new ones if they offered the ones in the size we need but they have discontinued all the ones that fit our skis.

Once I saw the recall I tried mine that was in my GSX and it did not work. The one in the GTI did work. I did apply for a replacement on the GSX

I got these for my boat, but can take measurements if someone wants. I got 15% off and free ship too. Sorry, I don't recall the code :(

It's currently under 2 covers and tucked alongside the boat... and pressure washer. and mower. and snow blower... winter is when I Tetris the garage.

I will try but can't make any promises until spring...

I may have a SEA-DOO one laying around the shop, i can photo them side by side. I used to part out skis, and I always kept the fire extinguishers. I think I had 3-4 at one point around the garage. Figured it wouldn't hurt!

I’m a little woozy after a nut slipped and was launched into my chest by my bench grinder.... but... YES. It should fit a XP and GTX.

If you want to get clever you could cut a hair out of the lid. Since we all know it’s not water right anyway. I drilled holes in mine long ago to let water fall down to the hull.

The metal can looks 100% the same size. The head is a bit bigger. My guess is it’s a fancier valve cover is all.

Attachments

• CDC9A6A6-B84C-49D7-B30D-C054AF6AC51B.jpeg
    CDC9A6A6-B84C-49D7-B30D-C054AF6AC51B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • CBE26852-5235-4CF7-BCAD-68B2FF44707C.jpeg
    CBE26852-5235-4CF7-BCAD-68B2FF44707C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 4DB5F3AC-DE81-4F64-B8E9-7FFE1682F973.jpeg
    4DB5F3AC-DE81-4F64-B8E9-7FFE1682F973.jpeg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 76
  • AC273449-0A69-4162-94E1-9C6D66448437.jpeg
    AC273449-0A69-4162-94E1-9C6D66448437.jpeg
    924.9 KB · Views: 70
what do you need to provide them with when you call? I have at least 4-8 laying around. I’d specify you want these ones when you call.

OVERTONS, $25.00 off “theprofit”
I got some trailer brakes.

Attachments

• CD41F3C6-C01D-4B69-883E-F13E0051FCE3.png
    CD41F3C6-C01D-4B69-883E-F13E0051FCE3.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 34
You can’t specify you want the correct ones you pictured Squirrel as they are First Alert and the recall is Kidde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back