Finish spidering on 2019 GTR-X 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leester

I just noticed that on my 2019 GTR-X 230 the paint/finish has spidering or cracking what ever you want to call it on the inside edge painted surface of the front compartment and left side front quarter of craft. Has anyone else seen this on thier's and what might be the cause if any or just a bad finish on my craft. I will be taking it to the dealer at the end of season for hopefully warranty coverage.

Yes, I have seen this. Seems like someone had put his/her fingers on the paint before it dried and it cracked. The dealer replaced the cover for me free of charge on my 2018 GTI. I don't think they will argue.

I just noticed that on my 2019 GTR-X 230 the paint/finish has spidering or cracking what ever you want to call it on the inside edge painted surface of the front compartment and left side front quarter of craft. Has anyone else seen this on their's and what might be the cause if any or just a bad finish on my craft. I will be taking it to the dealer at the end of season for hopefully warranty coverage.
Let me guess, your GTR-X looks like this? These are the LEAST noticeable on mine. My ski is currently at the dealership dealing with this issue now. This is ALL OVER the cap of my ski, if its silver, its "grazed" as Sea-Doo calls it. Front, back, both sides. Here is the paraphrased response my dealer got back from BRP:

This is considered neglect, as grazing is what happens when there is a chemical applied to the ski that is not compatible with the finish. (I've NEVER applied ANY chemical to my ski, nor did my dealer, I've only rinsed off with fresh water out of a hose). So they declined to cover this issue under warranty, rather offered to pay to have it sanded down and refinished. Mind you, this is ALL OVER the ski on the silver parts. So essentially the whole cap of the ski will have to be sanded down and resurfaced. But again, they denied the warranty saying i applied some kind of chemical (cleaning or otherwise) that was incompatible with the finish. If i had to guess these repairs are gonna be in the $1k's USD.

Personally this "chemical" excuse is a cop out. I asked them how is ANYONE ever going to be able to prove what they did or didnt put on a finish? How would i ever be able to prove my innocence, unless there is uncut footage of every moment I had the jet ski its impossible. They said their warranty decisions are final, and basically if i were to push back on their offer, they would take it off the table.

Initially i didnt see anything at the dealer when picking it out, and it was even harder to see in the sun. I only saw this after riding it the first time, under fluorescent lights, and being a first time PWC owner, just thought it was normal, then i noticed it was all over the ski, which is when i brought it in. My dealership even admitted to noticing at least two blemishes like this when they first got the ski in (them not pointing them out to me before leaving with it is another issue in of itself), so i KNOW it wasnt something i did, but even with that, Sea Doo still wont budge on their offer. So now, i own a 2019 GTR-X that is about it go into a body shop to have the whole cap sanded and refinished which will take at least a month, all the while having only been able to put 10 total hours on it. I didnt even get the registration for it yet, so here's to paying monthly payments and insurance on a ski I cant ride because a shitty company says its my fault regardless of all the issues popping up around the net about this.

TLDR: Same thing is going on with my ski, only on the silver parts, and its ALL OVER. Sea Doo rejected it as a warranty claim, and said it was neglect and an "incompatible chemical" was applied to the finish causing this. They offered to pay to have it sanded and repainted out of "good faith". I have no way of ever proving that i have only ever put water from a hose on the ski to rinse the salt water off. So good luck to you getting this covered under warranty. Luckily they offered to completely pay for the bodywork my ski has to go through (whole top cap sanded/repainted). But others havent been as lucky.

This whole experience has stressed me and the wife out to the point where we dont even want the damn thing anymore

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 58395347678__212A6F78-FE1B-45DC-9831-C18724F3BC4F.JPG
    58395347678__212A6F78-FE1B-45DC-9831-C18724F3BC4F.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 22
It all depends on how it looks I guess. In my case, the cracks were clearly caused by someone grabbing the cover with his hand while the paint was not dried yet. I could clearly see the five fingers fingerprints on the cover. And same for me, I did not notice these fingerprint marks on the cover when I took possession of the ski. But under the sun, I believe the cracks developed rapidly (less than one month). I guess in my case it was obvious.

I had a similar issue with a new car 20 years ago: bought it brand new, drove it to the cottage and upon arrival at the cottage, I noticed a huge dent in a fender. Ford didn't want to fix the issue at first but they finally agreed to fix it. However the paint job was botched and I hated that car from the first day. Fortunately, it was a lease so after two years, I gave them back the car with the botched job and there is nothing they could say about it.

@darrinm03, It really sucks having that kind of issue. Could intense sun have caused that? Let them fix it and trade it to the dealer after that to get a new one...

The ski is garage kept, only time it sees the sun is when it’s on the water, and that’s been a total of 10 hrs. So it’s not sun damage. Plus it’s on the side of the ski where the knees rest, and that part is typically not in direct sunlight. If I traded the ski in, I would Be in the hole roughly 3 grand. With trailer, out the door I paid $16k for it. It lists for MAX $13k right now

yes my ski looks just like that ! it sucks if they deny warranty, i have done nothing to mine as far as chemicals just water. only on the grey and even on the inside of front storage by the rivets
The ski is garage kept, only time it sees the sun is when it’s on the water, and that’s been a total of 10 hrs. So it’s not sun damage. Plus it’s on the side of the ski where the knees rest, and that part is typically not in direct sunlight. If I traded the ski in, I would Be in the hole roughly 3 grand. With trailer, out the door I paid $16k for it. It lists for MAX $13k right now

Then you need to go to the dealership and ask them what they use to “prep” the skis before delivery, I’m going up to the dealership to show them that Honda Polish is petroleum based and owners manual clearly states you can’t do that. Even printed out the MSDS sheet for the Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back