Finally Got My 951 DI Apart - Piston and Cylinder Pics!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaarrEagle

I am making slow but steady progress to get my GTX DI rebuilt and working again. I got the motor pulled a few weeks ago but finally got the head pulled to take a peak before sending it off for a rebuild. Symptoms that prompted this were a no start and a shop that told us one cylinder was at half the pressure of the other and thus needed a rebuild. You can see a small chunk of the piston missing in a couple of the pics. Anything in particular i should take from this? I was pleasantly surprised that the inside wasn't totally destroyed. The motor has 223 hours on it with no prior internal work.
289.JPEG290.JPEG291.JPEG292.JPEG293.JPEG294.JPEG295.JPEG

Cylinder walls look really dry and a little surface rust. Could be lack of lubrication but with 223 hours it's probably just getting worn out.

I would still send the injectors out for service and testing.

Considering that chunk is missing id be very thorough in inspecting the bottom end to assure it's free of debris before returning to service

Otherwise it doesn't appear to have had any sort of catastrophic failure so I'd say you looking at a fairly straight forward rebuild

At 223 hours you are going to have to replace the crank and rebuild the balancer shaft.

I plan to send it off to SES for a full rebuild in the next week or so. I got part way through disassembly this weekend and one of the rave vales will not come out. I wonder if something got nicked when that chunk let loose. Oh well, I'm sure SES can handle it.

Have you used SES before? They have been notorious here for extremely long waits, like missing all summer late.

No, but I talked to Tom twice and he sounds like he knows his stuff and he even acknowledged some schedule issues in the past (without me bringing them up)... and that he is trying to be more realistic when quoting turnaround times. He is quoting 2 months right now which should be fine for my needs. I just want it running for next spring.

Tom seems like a nice guy and he does sound like he knows what he's talking about. The motor you'll get from him will be a good motor.

If your planning to order over winter I'd say do it and you'll probably have your motor before summer.

However his turnaround time is a little misrepresented. I sent my core to him in july and my motor was slated to be back in September. Here we are half way through November and I don't have it yet.

Seems par for the course for most of these places. I got just a top end from Full Bore and was quoted 3 weeks, it ended up being more like 8, with no replies to emails, voicemails, etc. for weeks at a time. I did finally get it and it worked fine, but they should all try to do a better job with customer service and the business part of the business.

I just got my 951 back from SES. I sent it in Late July. I knew I wasn’t going to get to work on it until November (I coach football). I was willing to take the risk. What I did was begin calling and inquiring about 2 months ago. I politely asked when it would be ready. Every time they responded it was sooner than it actually was, but I knew that could be the case going in.

I called probably 6 times and each time I either spoke with someone or they returned my calls. Me experience was as expected, and for the price and guarantee it was an easy choice.

The engine looks great on the exterior. Now I just have to put it all back together and hope I don’t mess it up:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back