Excracting broken machine screw

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thomps33

Hi all, Looking for some advice. Took the ride plate off a 95 XP 800 and a machine screw broke off while trying to back it out with an electric impact. What's the best way to extract it now? Easy-out?

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 26
Yep. Drill as large of pilot hole as you can without damaging the threads, you may need to center-punch the screw to get a good starter point so your drill won't walk off. When you drill the hole, it actually lets the o/d of the screw shrink slightly, helping to break it loose, and then your EZ Out will back it out.

I use a let hand drill bit. Start to drill it and then slow down and press very hard. It will often GRAB the bolt, break free and spin out. And even if it doesn't, the hole will be drilled...

I have a pair of screw extractors that I've been told work great. Drill in a bit (left hand) then flip the bit around and it digs into the screw and loosens it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Before you start as suggested above, and if it is physically possible, squirt some break free stuff on the thing; a couple applications and let it soak between and maybe it will wick into the threads. I use aero-kroil, it has been suggested a 50/50 mixture of acetone and auto-trans fluid, but I have not tried this one yet.

Thanks everyone. I already have it soaking in PB Blaster. I need to locate some left hand drill bits and give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back