Excessive oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fired up my (new to me) 1998 SeaDoo Challenger 1800 in the driveway and ran it on the garden hose for a few minutes to check things out. After running the port engine for a few minutes and shutting it down. I noticed a puddle of oil on the driveway under the exhaust port. The engine sounds ok, but this seems kind of crazy. Any ideas what would cause this? Oil pump out of adjustment maybe?

Attachments

• Resized_20190704_104740.jpeg
    Resized_20190704_104740.jpeg
    942.3 KB · Views: 21
Typically leaking carb needle and seats flooding it out. If it is smoking like crazy then crank and/or rotary shaft seals.

Thank you miki, it sounds like this may be a fairly common occurrence with these motors? I found an article with someone experiencing the same thing and they were told that it was probably crank and/or rotary seals too. My boat had sat for an extended period before I fired it. It sounds like if the seals leak just a little bit and the engine sits for a long time you can experience this. I am going to run it a bit and see if it happens again after just short periods and if the oil consumption seems excessive.

2-Strokes do have oil in the exhaust, a big improvement came with the variable oil injection system.

If your engine is running pre-mix now b/c the oil injection system was removed, it will be considerably dirtier.
Here's 80 gallons of fuel burnt this week, probably do another 20 today. Plenty of no wake zones, longest one is over 10 minutes. All pre mix 40:1 it's just as clean as an injected boat. I use XPS-2 oil. I'd say it's clean. Trust me, I want my injection back just to consume less oil. Probably this winter when I pull the engines to bead blast and paint them I'll switch back.
4f5d6824605d6eb5a5c1534c6000e670.jpg
8315e38e2ea628939ff1731daf095a7f.jpg

I'm not talking clean as in emissions. Clean as in not dirty, sooty, oil build up, leaking spooge. As far as a raptor and a weed wacker.....sure. We all pollute with our boats, someone mentioned in another thread 1 gallon of oil should last you about 50 gallons of gas. I go thru 1 gallon in 40 gallons of gas. I wasn't posting that to get a rise out of you, it was just to post the clean part of the boat after 80 gallons of fuel being used. Sorry I quoted your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back