Engine Seized?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlawrenzi

Hello folks. I am a new owner of a 2001 bombardier LRV. First day I took it out to lake, it stopped running. The impeller assembly was shot, due to prior owner not replacing oil. This was replaced. Was running perfect for 2-3 days. Then noticed a couple of times it cavitated at lower speeds, then would run fine. Today we took it out, ran great, then shut it off to swim, tried to start it, just clicked. Thought it was the battery, replaced it, did same thing. Got it home, tried to start it, engine tried to turn over, then died, then was just clicking again. Jump the solenoids, they are fine. Took out spark plugs, I cannot turn the shaft at all, I haven't taken them impeller assembly off yet....any suggestions? When the engine did turn over out of water for a second, sounded very loud. Thanks!

Pull the pump... and figure out if either the pump, or the engine is seized. (you should be able to turn the engine by hand)

Pull the pump... and figure out if either the pump, or the engine is seized. (you should be able to turn the engine by hand)

Ok. I will try that today. I have never worked on these before other than what I detailed in the post, so wish me luck! Thank you!

Just pulled the pump, the impeller is seized, not turning at all. Engine is turning fine...thank God....Should I take apart the impeller housing or just take it to the dealer?

The dealer will probably tell you that you need a new pump.

The pump is a very simple thing... and if you managed to get it off the hull... just do it yourself. Inside there is a roller bearing, a thrust bearing, and a seal.

Remove the cone from the rear... remove the impeller... and pound out the shaft. Replace the damaged parts... and put it back on the ski. OR... look for a good used pump on ebay. Any of the 140mm pumps will work. They go for about +$75 in good shape.

Just took the cone off, the bearings smell bad, these were just replaced 2 weeks ago, I don't think the guy that did it packed the bearings, but he did put oil in the cone...Are the bearings supposed to be packed?

Ok thank you. Maybe the drive shaft is shot/out of balance? Is it pretty easy to pull? There was no oil left in the cone, this was just replaced, so I am thinking the drive shaft is causing the problem.

That ski should have 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in it. (no grease)

If it was just rebuilt... I'd say that whoever did the work, owes you a new pump. (bearings could have been pressed to the wrong depth. Seal coudl have been damaged on install. Installed "import" bearings... etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back