Engine question 2009 180 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 2009 Challenger 180 w/ 215 HP engine this offseason with 30hrs on it. After taking it out on the lake for the first time it would only rev to 2500rpm and about 10 mph. I replaced the plugs and was able to get the on-board speedo up to 29mph and revs to 6300rpm. It sounds like the supercharger is working as there's the typical high pitch whirr happening through the rev band. The shifter will go about 7/8 of the way to wot advancing the revs but the last 1/8 of travel has no effect on the speed or rpm.

Any thoughts on where to start? Maybe the RAVE valves? Bad fuel filter? Wear ring?? I'm lost.

Thanks in advance
MB

I purchased a 2009 Challenger 180 w/ 215 HP engine this offseason with 30hrs on it. After taking it out on the lake for the first time it would only rev to 2500rpm and about 10 mph. I replaced the plugs and was able to get the on-board speedo up to 29mph and revs to 6300rpm. It sounds like the supercharger is working as there's the typical high pitch whirr happening through the rev band. The shifter will go about 7/8 of the way to wot advancing the revs but the last 1/8 of travel has no effect on the speed or rpm.

Any thoughts on where to start? Maybe the RAVE valves? Bad fuel filter? Wear ring?? I'm lost.

Thanks in advance
MB

I don't have any advice about what you can check but I can say I have kind of the same thing with my throttle. My first 1/4 seems to get no response and once I am near the top it seems to just be maxed out. However I am getting higher RPM than 6300. I think closer to the 9000 area. I have a 2011 180 215.

If the intercooler hose comes off or has a crack in it, you will loose about a third of your RPMs and power. Take a good look at the intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inter cooler hose

If the intercooler hose comes off or has a crack in it, you will loose about a third of your RPMs and power. Take a good look at the intercooler.

Thanks for the tip, I checked the inter cooler hose on the back of the engine and it had a rather large crack throug about 40% of the hose. Just ordered a replacement from seadoopartsnation.com. Should have it installed by the end of the week.

Thanks again for your help!

That would do it.

The SC really likes its air. Glad you found the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back