End result when people think they're better than the manufacturer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechorepko

Today I purchased a 96 Sea Doo XP. Everything looks and operates great!.... So to the naked eye it seemed. Apparently the previous owner thought he knew what was best as far as how the fuel/oil mixture should go. Instead of allowing the ski to mix the two fluids together as it was designed to do, he somehow rigged the engine so that you must manually mix the oil with the fuel and then insert the mixed fuel into the tank. He said it has to be a 32:1 ratio or something like that. 32 parts fuel and 1 part oil. Needless to say I'm pissed! and don't want to have to mix the fuel/oil myself. Does anyone know what would posess someone to do this and how to reverse this process back to how it should be?

It's not a big deal to re-install the oil injection system, in fact there's a recent thread on the subject, you should be able to get all the parts you need from minnetonka4me or 99spxxx. The first thing you need to do is take inventory of what's left of the oil injection system in your ski, ie oil tank, oil pump, oil lines.

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...adoopwc&a=269&b=1&c=0&d=-MAGNETO-AND-OIL-PUMP

Here's a recent thread on the subject.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?61561-Converting-back-to-the-oil-pump&p=327867#post327867

Lou

lol.... loved the post...

don't be pissed, this is no big deal....

but to the OP, pre-mixing the oil gas is not that uncommon, I do it on my ski's, if its set up right and its that way now, you might want to consider leaving it that way as your option B, assuming your concerned about option A which is setting it back to normal, its not truly difficult but if you've never done it, we can walk you thru it... or follow those threads step by step.

premixing is very easy (although I do 40-1) just find a west marine and pick up a premix container... looks like this... it will make premixing very very very easy.

83.jpg

I buy these for $5. it is a nice sealed container with lines for all the ratio's, so if you need 4 gallons of gas, you fill it up to the line that corresponds with your ratio... (and again personally I think 32/1 is too thick)

but the bottom line is that your seller wasn't nuts. IF he set up the premix properly it will function just fine this way. so even if you decide to go back to the pump, don't let it stop you from riding this weekend while you wait for the parts :)

an oil pump is only like $30 if I remember the going rate, i have one that I got in a parts swap and was planning on listing it on ebay. but first find out if you have the oil tank still there, figure out if the seller set up an RV loop, until you know whats missing you won't know for sure what you need to replace assuming you want to set it back to original manufacturer setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly i think premix is better. If the pump fails, goodbye to the engine. With premix no pump to worry about

Honestly i think premix is better. If the pump fails, goodbye to the engine. With premix no pump to worry about

usually its not the pump that fails, but the lines, filter, clogs, etc... seadoo oil pumps are VERY reliable. but yes in general the oil "system" has several weak spots... if you replace the oil system the only weak spot is the owners brain, forgetting to mix in the oil, putting two types of oil in and getting oil goo, or failing to check the RV loop.

to the OP, try calling the seller back and asking him if he setup up an rv loop, or look for the rv loop yourself to make sure that's been done. and while your in there look for the oil tank, see if its there.

As ive recently learned on here though, if your premixing, youre wasting oil at idle. It runs a much higher ratio like 70-1 or so. So basically at idle you are using double the necessary oil. I was going to take out my pump and premix and these guys suggested otherwise. Ive since fixed my pump and am currently enjoying the simplicity of the injection.

As ive recently learned on here though, if your premixing, youre wasting oil at idle. It runs a much higher ratio like 70-1 or so. So basically at idle you are using double the necessary oil. I was going to take out my pump and premix and these guys suggested otherwise. Ive since fixed my pump and am currently enjoying the simplicity of the injection.

my theory was... if you want to idle on the water, buy a pontoon boat...

if you want to go fast, buy an xp.

ps.. lets assume it costs $50 to get it re-installed, how long will it take to use up and extra gallon and a half of oil ?
a full season ? maybe two.

You know you can't blame all of this on the seller, when purchasing anything, especially used you need to be an informed consumer. Know the questions to ask, if the oil pump is gone and there are no injector lines it should be fairly apparent that the oil injection system is not working.

Lou

Nobody else jumped in on this part ... make sure you are using the proper oil; there are numerous threads out here on that, some quite entertaining.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back