Electrical or PCM or what with 2003 Mercury Sportjet 240hp EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeptemberC

This summer after getting my Islandia out of storage we had an INTERMITTENT issue that was a long alarm along with a momentary cut in power (limp mode). This occurred the first several times while running on plane close to WOT. This alarm and limp mode had happened years before when I found a fender had fallen down and was laying on my pee hole hose. Assuming this had caused some kind of overheat alarm.
Then one day we towed the boat 1.5 hours to a lake and it idled with no problem. When we reached the end of the No wake zone, as soon as it was given ANY throttle the alarm went off and limp mode triggered. (See ground wire issue below?)
We had no access to a scanner to read fault codes so I chose to replace both port and starboard head temp sensors, water pressure sensor, new spark plugs. THE LARGE THICK GROUND WIRE that is secured to the coil pack frame was rotted, crumbling and falling apart. I purchased a new one but my husband took one of the bolts loose that holds the ground strap on to the frame out but the other bolt is between the engine and the coil frame and difficult to get to. . He and my son in law determined it wasn’t important . We took it to the water and this is a video (sound only) https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...UYnV7d4Cx4TcfDVKunnxW8uLzRgT3fzl&id=605164516 of the IMMEDIATE SICK SOUNDING alarm that goes off along with a SICK engine trying to run. AND HUGE ARC can be seen in the area of the coils!
(It was dark outside)
We took my Islandia to a marine shop yesterday (PTL that I found someone who was willing to work on it here in WV) The first thing he did was put the ground strap back on. Later in the day he said that he had tried to start it and unfortunately it’s running the same.
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations. It is a 2003 so I have electric oil pump. Someone prior had suggested that the plastic gear oil pump had failed which mine does not have.
serial number is 0E415631

Looking through the service manual, continuous beep is cause by the following

Cooling system- any water coming out of the pisser hose? Could be an obstruction, I backflushed my system - output to pisser I put a water line there and ran back through, some small debris came out.

Oil level critically low- check onboard oil tank attached to motor. Could also be a bad sensor.

Oil pump failure- electric pump failed

Sensor out of range- TPS, manifold pressure sensor, knock sensors- these will cause a continuous alarm.

Damage to a component from bad ground, arcing could have damaged a component (electrical)

Faulty guardian system- though I doubt this as the engine sounds like crap.

I would say probably cooling system- back flush into pisser hole.

Or oil delivery system problem.

I bought a mercury vessel view for my 2003 Islandia. You can download the app after hooking up the hardware- tells you all the faults, some sensors don’t exist on our motors so you can block those.

Good luck.

This summer after getting my Islandia out of storage we had an INTERMITTENT issue that was a long alarm along with a momentary cut in power (limp mode). This occurred the first several times while running on plane close to WOT. This alarm and limp mode had happened years before when I found a fender had fallen down and was laying on my pee hole hose. Assuming this had caused some kind of overheat alarm.
Then one day we towed the boat 1.5 hours to a lake and it idled with no problem. When we reached the end of the No wake zone, as soon as it was given ANY throttle the alarm went off and limp mode triggered. (See ground wire issue below?)
We had no access to a scanner to read fault codes so I chose to replace both port and starboard head temp sensors, water pressure sensor, new spark plugs. THE LARGE THICK GROUND WIRE that is secured to the coil pack frame was rotted, crumbling and falling apart. I purchased a new one but my husband took one of the bolts loose that holds the ground strap on to the frame out but the other bolt is between the engine and the coil frame and difficult to get to. . He and my son in law determined it wasn’t important . We took it to the water and this is a video (sound only) https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...UYnV7d4Cx4TcfDVKunnxW8uLzRgT3fzl&id=605164516 of the IMMEDIATE SICK SOUNDING alarm that goes off along with a SICK engine trying to run. AND HUGE ARC can be seen in the area of the coils!
(It was dark outside)
We took my Islandia to a marine shop yesterday (PTL that I found someone who was willing to work on it here in WV) The first thing he did was put the ground strap back on. Later in the day he said that he had tried to start it and unfortunately it’s running the same.
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations. It is a 2003 so I have electric oil pump. Someone prior had suggested that the plastic gear oil pump had failed which mine does not have.
serial number is 0E415631
Also the intake manifold temperature

Cooling system- any water coming out of the pisser hose? Could be an obstruction, I backflushed my system - output to pisser I put a water line there and ran back through, some small debris came out.

Oil level critically low- check onboard oil tank attached to motor. Could also be a bad sensor.

Sensor out of range- TPS, manifold pressure sensor, knock sensors- these will cause a continuous alarm.

Damage to a component from bad ground, arcing could have damaged a component (electrical)

I bought a mercury vessel view for my 2003 Islandia. You can download the app after hooking up the hardware- tells you all the faults, some sensors don’t exist on our motors so you can block those.

Good luck.
also check the fuses just above the red battery cable on lower starboard side, with the arcing happening maybe a fuse blew.

Good luck.
Also the intake manifold temperature

also check the fuses just above the red battery cable on lower starboard side, with the arcing happening maybe a fuse blew.
Do you have something that shows the location of those sensors?

Do you have something that shows the location of those sensors?
I think you still have the oil header tank on the engine? Is it full? Check the strainer on the bottom of the pickup tube in the large oil tank. My strainer was completely clogged with dead dinosaur bits. Header tank was empty.

I have the reservoir tank mounted on the side of the engine. Tank is full, Large tank is 3/4 full. Reservoir tank was replaced 2 -3 years ago when sensor in tank went bad.

UGH - Current mechanic has not ever dealt with a SPORTJET set inboard. He notified me that with a hose connected to the "wash out" connector, he found that my heads are not getting any water. . .My exhaust is not getting any water. Must be clogged. I informed him 80% of the water from that hose is emptying out into the floor from the HUGE hole under my boat (the intake grate) and that the volume of water he was putting in it is NOTHING compared to what it would be SUBMERGED in the water. :cry:
Take it to the River. . . .

UGH - Current mechanic has not ever dealt with a SPORTJET set inboard. He notified me that with a hose connected to the "wash out" connector, he found that my heads are not getting any water. . .My exhaust is not getting any water. Must be clogged. I informed him 80% of the water from that hose is emptying out into the floor from the HUGE hole under my boat (the intake grate) and that the volume of water he was putting in it is NOTHING compared to what it would be SUBMERGED in the water. :cry:
Take it to the River. . . .
Did you figure out the issue?

No! Honestly I have lost hope that the mechanic has any idea of what he’s doing. Planning to take it to an EXPERT in a couple weeks. Then it will be like NEW! I’m so excited. I can’t or don’t wanna share who’s doing it right now… but after it’s all done I’ll be posting pictures and telling everything that we find and test results and steps…. :cool:

Did you figure out the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back