Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

Driving with the tarp on?

Drive with Tarp on?

• Yepers. Drive with the tarp. It will be fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Water Crafts
Seadoo Sportster 150
Canadian here... I'm heading south to Arizona for the winter and I thought I'd take my Speedster 150 with me. Trouble is snow. Lots and lots of snow. All the way from Alberta to Montana or Idaho anyway. Once you hit Salt Lake City it should let up but before I get there I don't want the whole thing to fill up with slushy snow and muck. But can you drive with the tarp on? It's an OEM Sportster cover. What do you guys think? Take the tarp off or leave it on while driving. Remember Montana speed limits are 80mph.

speedster.jpg

Water Crafts
2010 Challenger 180 SE (255HP)
I would say travel with it off as much as possible. Perhaps keep an eye on the weather radar when traveling. Pain to take off and put on, but might be a good compromise.

What lake or waterway are you planning to take it on in Arizona?

JPass

Water Crafts
2012 Challenger 210 SE
If it's an actual tarp, I'd say leave it off. If it's a trailerable cover, then leave it on.

Water Crafts
Seadoo Sportster 150
It's the OEM cover. Tarp. Whatever they call it. It's made by Bombardier anyway. But I have no idea if it's rated for highway speeds or if it's intended just for storage. Anyway too late to wait for further input... I'm keeping it on through the snow. I'll report back on my results. Wish me luck I'm heading into a winter storm advisory! :)

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
If it's older it will shred in the wind.

Also I have seen plenty of "trailerable" covers scratch the crap out of boats from the wind even with the vacuum hold and straps.

Water Crafts
Seadoo Sportster 150
Welp... so far so good. Half way through the drive. They closed the highway so I'm holed up in Butte Montana. I guess we won't know how things are really going until I get it down to Arizona and hose it off. But it's protecting the boat. If it wasn't for the tarp the whole thing would be full of muck. If it doesn't survive then it's done it's job anyway and I'll grab a new one. seadoo with ice.jpg

Water Crafts
2010 210 Challenger SE 310HP (twin 155's)
You came through my town of Great Falls! It’s been an incredible “winter” here already. Over 30” of snow here & double that up in the mountains! My 210 is tucked safely into our garage thankfully but you will be glad to have your speedster done in AZ when it’s 20 below up here. Good call on the cover

Water Crafts
Seadoo Sportster 150
You came through my town of Great Falls! It’s been an incredible “winter” here already. Over 30” of snow here & double that up in the mountains! My 210 is tucked safely into our garage thankfully but you will be glad to have your speedster done in AZ when it’s 20 below up here. Good call on the cover
You bet! We made it through Great Falls. Weirdly enough I was the only guy on the road pulling a Seadoo through winter storm Aubrey! Sorry to say I didn't have time to visit the falls and see what's so great about them for myself. You do have falls in there somewhere? I did have time to see your world famous road cows but I'm not a fan. Cows on icy roads? What could go wrong...

cows.jpg

Water Crafts
2010 210 Challenger SE 310HP (twin 155's)
Yes, we do have several "great" falls here on the Missouri river. perhaps you can stop for the night on your way home and check them out. And yeah.......lots of cows. One of my friends that drives for FedEx (big rig overnight from town to town, not delivery) hit about 25 on the highway about the same time. They had somehow gotten out and weren't supposed to be on the road in that instance, i guess it was a gruesome scene though. Otherwise, open range cattle is fairly normal around different parts of the state. Speaking of covers though, I have 2010 that I bought in 2017 and it came with the original snap-on cover system. one for the bow and one for the rest of the top part of the boat. First trip at highway speeds and it shredded. It was just too old and had been destroyed by the sun and weather over that time period. I think a new cover, and the one I have now (Carvin cinch down system) works great on the highway. have a safe trip!

SPONSORED LINKS

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member