drive shaft drama on jetski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Ted70

hi i have bought a secondhand ski.a seadoo Rx2001 951cc..the problem is that the drive shaft has stripped in the impeller and seems to only have engaged the first 10mm of the impeller...have gone to the trouble to buy new parts for the pump, bearings ,seals and a new impeller and drive shaft...have put new rubbers on both ends of the drive shaft had mate of mine put it all together and every thing seems tight and in place...with the pump and all parts..... but we pulled it down to check the shaft length ,,if it was going into the impeller ,,but it still is only going into impeller 10 mm..the only thing we can think of is if the motor mounts could move...but motor mounts are fine.and back engine brace is ok as well..is there any way that the engine can move forward ....and the pump unit went together real well and there was no movement when put together...have takin it for a test ride but when we pulled the impeller and shaft out to inspect it. the shaft is only 10mm in...so we are stumped to why the shaft seems short...have the right shaft part number and such so no luck with wrong part...so any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

driveshaft drama

Based on your description it seems to me that it is either a wrong shaft or the engine has moved.

yes have checked the part number against the parts list and it is the right length for it...my mate said that the motor mounts are good ..as the engine dose not move when pushed or pulled. mine also has a rear back plate which bolts to the rear of the motor and reaches both sides of the ski...and he can not see how the motor could slide forward without bending this plate ..the holes are not elongated for this to happen....any other things to try

i believe so loudoo...have checked it against the size chart for my ski and both of them are identical in length 450mm size and profile ...will have to check out the motor moving forward again...as my mate is a outboard mechanic and other motors ..but its his first ski to work on....if i put more spacers in the drive female spline and push the shaft further down ...what would be the chances of ruining the female drive spline which is on the motor end i wonder

i believe so loudoo...have checked it against the size chart for my ski and both of them are identical in length 450mm size and profile ...will have to check out the motor moving forward again...as my mate is a outboard mechanic and other motors ..but its his first ski to work on....if i put more spacers in the drive female spline and push the shaft further down ...what would be the chances of ruining the female drive spline which is on the motor end i wonder

I think I'd look into finding a longer drive shaft at this point, unless somehow maybe someone has changed the PTO.

I think as long as the full spline length on the drive shaft is engaged, it should be enough b/c it cannot get better than that. So if shimming the shaft backwards will work okay with the through hull seal position then I'd do that if I were you.

I'm wondering if maybe it has the wrong impeller on it, as well.

On my 951, there are no exposed shaft splines.

Last edited by a moderator:
funny thing the old impeller and drive shaft are exactly the same as the new parts that i ordered through partshark...i have a funny feeling that motor could be forward....no my splines are covered both ends but made the dicision to ride it and pull it apart to check spline engagement after putting in the new parts..found that the shaft was only in 10 mm on the impeller . and yes will check the pto shaft drive end to see if its the correct one...thanks for that .....slowly pulling my hair out with this fun machine......

If any work was done before there is a good chance that the motor is in the wrong place.

Probably worth loosening the mounts, putting it all back together but sliding the engine back some.

i thought that ..pulling the motor back ..but on the shaft at the impeller end ,the stainless part that goes with the circlip ...wouldnt that stop the shaft from going rearwards into the pump....(impeller) end as it will come up against the front bearing assembly. thats in the pump housing...thanks guys for your input... will see how it goes as i wont be able to get to work on it till the weekend...but will keep pondering about this issue

I'm thinking that if the carbon seal is properly/reasonably positioned and the impeller is the correct one, then the shaft is just too short and a longer one is needed. 10mm of spline overlap is not near enough, IMO, and will fail rather quickly.

yes old shaft has suffered from this and stripped the impeller at the same time....have given me food for thought...almost feels like a summers day here...the new shaft and impeller hopfully wont suffer this

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys was wondering if the seadoo has the right pump housing in it ,,,,the part number on mine is 271000116 ,,,but the part number on the parts lists is different.....I was thinking that ,,,,because it may be a different pump housing which makes the shaft too short and only engages the impeller 10 mm....what are your thoughts

Hi guys was wondering if the seadoo has the right pump housing in it ,,,,the part number on mine is 271000116 ,,,but the part number on the parts lists is different.....I was thinking that ,,,,because it may be a different pump housing which makes the shaft too short and only engages the impeller 10 mm....what are your thoughts

There is a good chance that [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] has both. He may be able to compare them for you...

Back