Don't run without water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xintersecty

OK, everybody knows this. I got lazy and did not run a hose or put it in the water. I figured I would run it about 30 seconds and shut it off. I needed to check something after a fix.

So I fired up the engine, ran it at partial throttle and on shut down it gave a very unsatisfying glurg. Then it would not start again. It felt like it would start but the starter did not have enough power to move it.

I got the boat off the dock and back into my driveway for a fix.

This is what I found
2015-03-31 18.26.34.sm.jpg

2015-03-31 18.26.40.sm.jpg

I can't upload files again... :-( tried using IE and Firefox
Edit <- I had to resize my files down, is there a 1mb limitation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I need to pull the pump and get the wear ring off. I never understood the freezer trick? Just put the whole pump in and the wear ring should pop out?

The freezer is to put it in. Freeze the ring so it shrinks, leave the pump room temp. I've never had to use tricks to put a wear ring in.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

so, you ran it with a chunk of wood wedged in the prop ?

honestly, i've started my ski (and my challenger) many many times with no hose. I generally don't run it for 30 seconds, but 10-12 seconds or so, i've never hesitated to do that.

so, you ran it with a chunk of wood wedged in the prop ?

honestly, i've started my ski (and my challenger) many many times with no hose. I generally don't run it for 30 seconds, but 10-12 seconds or so, i've never hesitated to do that.

Well I did not know there was a chuck of wood wedged in there. That is a Solas prop and it's damn good and sharp. That wood really melted the wear ring. LOL. Lesson learned.

I would buy an OEM ring. it's only about $5-$10 more than aftermarket.

That prop looks awesome

I would buy an OEM ring. it's only about $5-$10 more than aftermarket.

That prop looks awesome
thank you! that prop is awesome. Last years boating season was erratic with drive shaft carbon rings, girlfriend and work. The few times I ran it it seem to go smoothly. I already had a wear ring in stock. As soon as in my new one, I am buying one. That same wear ring will work on my RXT. So that should be a in-house-in-stock item for me as I live in stick infested waters. I went home at lunch pulled out the old one and got the new one in the freezer on ice.

Once I have it in, then I can the pre-season motor checks!

Very funny! I get a lot of trash where I live on the lake. I got everything back together and battery with a good charge. She fired right up!

In Fargo, they chop something else other than sticks.....

I had a stick stuck like that about 3 yrs ago on way to trailer.I couldn't give it any gas just idled it there.I removed the stick with pump on.Bet thats where groves came from on ring.Didn't know any better until lately.Well,you know what I'm doing now.haha What a learning experience .

Looks just like this guys ring that I replaced this past winter also from a piece of wood. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 20141116_153702.jpg
    20141116_153702.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57
WOW, Holy Melted Plastic Batman! I had a helluva a time getting my impeller out over the burnt plastic build-up. That must have been impossible!

Just popped everything in the freezer and it slid right out. The guy was wondering why he had "cobwebs" blowing out of his pump while on the trailer. LOL, it was melted plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back