Does this ride plate look right to you?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

So I guess I'm a poster child for ride plate issues on my 00' sportster 1800 210. I read the long thread on ride plates (Aquaman) and am suffering nose-high hole shots, porpoising at cruise RPMs and a pull to the left which requires a constant right wheel input. My plate looks like it is humped or has a bend in it. May likely be because it looks like the starboard screw is a couple more turns out than the port one. Possibly an attempt by the P/O to correct the left pull? Anyway, If anybody can comment on what they see here, I'd appreciate it. Thx.

Attachments

• 20170806_181756-1.jpg
    20170806_181756-1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 20170806_181914-1.jpg
    20170806_181914-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
I had the same issue as you have. my ride plate was bent (yours looks bent too but maybe that's just the lens? anyway, take a steel ruler (or level etc...) some think with a known straight edge and put it on your ride plate. it should at least be flat.

Mine had gouges in it where the previous owner repeatedly hit rocks so it was pretty mangled. I replaced mine for a factory one and it fixed a lot of the problem you are describing. I have mine turned all the way in and it still does not porpoise. It still tends to pull to the side when at speed but I understand this is more an issue with the rotation of the water coming out of the pump then the ride plate.

Mine was so bad that it really listed when underway. now it still lists a little but that's more in line with the weight of the battery and driver then anything else.

there is another thread that is underway right now where a member is making extended ride plates. the people who have purchased them seem to be very happy with the upgrade. depending on the shape of yours (ie if you can straighten it or not) maybe take a look at that thread.

I think you want your ride plate to be level. but I really don't know. I think its one of those things your can "tune" until you get the ride you are looking for.

P.s. really soak the bolts in penetrating oil for a few days (weeks?) before you try to get them out. especially if yours has been in salt, these can be hard to remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back