Does oil go bad?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sink

We always put Stabil in our fuel for the winter.. I was wondering if 2 stroke oil ever goes bad? I have some old oil for my chainsaw/snoblower/trimmer/2 stroke toys from many years ago and was wondering if I should use it. If it doesn't go bad, why does gas and not oil?

Any petroleum geeks out there have any insight?

Signed,
Sinkodontknow

realistically... no, it doesn't. BUT... if it's not in a sealed container... it can get contaminated.

We've been talking to a couple oil company on a different chat board, and we were told there are no issues with age. (Mobile and BP, for synthetic turbine oil)

To answer the second part of your question... there are a few reasons that gasonline goes bad.

1) It's partial pressure is low enough that it will evaporate at standard conditions. (Temp, humidity, pressure) Because of this, everything than can't evaporate get's concentrated.

2) Not all of the fuel evaporates the same. Since gasoline is a blend of hydrocarbon chains... the heavy ones sick around longer. The longer the carbon chain... the closer to oil/tar it is.

3) since they like to put things like alcohol in our fuel now... gasoline attracts water. this has multiple effects

A) Water doesn't burn, and that causes contamination
B) The water can rust metal fuel tanks. (The main reason we need stabilizer)
C) The water can react with the fuel, and can actually oxzidize the fuel when it sits for a long time. (+4 months)

At one time... the water would simply settle out, and go to the bottom of the tank, and could be drained. BUT, now... the alcohol keeps the water mixed into the fuel, and causes issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
To look at it from the other side... Oil is "Heavy" so it doesn't evaporate. Also, it's additives are generally polymer and metal based. (not solvent)

As far as using old chainsaw fuel... give it a sniff. If it smells like gas... use it. If it smells like varnish, or mineral spirits... DON'T use it. Also... generally speaking... most small engine 2-stroke oils have stabilizer in them.

gasoline
Unlike crude oil, gasoline is a highly refined product brewed to a certain chemical composition with very specific characteristics. One characteristic of gas is volatility, a term used to describe how easily and under what conditions the gas vaporizes so it can be efficiently burned in your car's engine.

The most highly volatile components in gasoline also tend to evaporate over time. As they do, the remaining fuel's volatility and ability to combust properly degrades. The less volatile the fuel, the less effectively it burns in your engine. The result is diminished engine performance. Your engine may still start and run, but it probably won't run as well.

The good news is, once the old gas has been consumed and the tank is topped off with fresh fuel, the problem should cure itself. Evaporation of volatile compounds can be limited by making sure the gas cap is secured tightly. For the same reason, be sure all portable gas containers are sealed tightly as well
A More Serious Problem: Oxidation

Hydrocarbons in the gas react with oxygen to produce new compounds that eventually change the chemical composition of the fuel. This leads to gum and varnish deposits in the fuel system.

These deposits and impurities can clog up gas lines and filters, as well the small orifices in a carburetor and the even smaller orifices in a fuel injector. Removing these deposits can be expensive and your vehicle may not run at all or run very poorly until they are removed.

when i store any equipment for a long duration, i usually use a guide of 1/2 of a tank - with a stabiler, wether its a boat, ski, or old truck we keep in georgia at hunt club, then when i start to use it, take and fill it up with fresh gas, and any evaporation of fuel additives in gas are replenished with new fuel

How Do You Identify Bad Gas?

One way is to eyeball it. Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.

Fuel system stabilizer is not a cure-all and it doesn't last forever. It must be mixed with fresh gas before the vehicle is stored, not added to already old gas. It can slow down the oxidation process and keep gas fresh for as long as 12 to15 months. If you're going to leave the vehicle parked for longer than that, you may want to drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel before returning the vehicle to service.

Thanks for the info guys. It's not gas mixed with oil, just the oil. Didn't want to put bad stuff in anything. I've never heard or seen anything about oil and thought I'd ask. I did a search first. I have about a half a tank of oil in my boat too and didn't want to have to throw it away. The 2 stroke oil I found is probably (lets see... built the house 18 years ago and it was moved from the old house so) 20 years old. It's in small sealed Toro bottles from a snow blower. Not sure I will use it or not but didn't know if I could. Any comments with this information?

I wouldn't use this oil for two reasons, it's probably not API-TC certified, if its for an snow blower it's probably not. The second reason it's not the same brand oil that you are currently using.

It would probably be O.K. in a leaf blower, string trimmer, chain saw.

Lou

It would also be good as a lubricant in my 7.3 diesel ford. If you know anyone with a diesel, give it to them and pour it down the gas tank. I add stuff at every fillup, sometimes 2 stroke, sometimes ATF... it don't care. I even pour the used oil from my fry daddy into the tank.

I'm not wanting to put it in my boat. I was wondering about my chainsaw/string trimmer/snow blower/2stroke toys other than my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back