Do i have an air filter?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrygoleman123

We are new to PWC'S, my wife turned ours over (2003 seadoo951 RX) at the lake last week, being new I did not know you have to flip it over counterclockwise, so of course we flipped it the wrong way, as soon as we got it home I pulled plugs and blew out water. It will start but not idle, is there a air filter in these things? I wanted to check filter but I can't find one.
Thanks Larry

Just an air box, no filter. You need to fog oil the engine. Get service manual off Internet. It has procedure for water ingestion. Do it NOW! Rust forms quickly.

There's no air filter, just the flame arrester.

It's important for you to get that ski out on the water for a minimum 30 minute ride ASAP to get as much water out of the engine as possible, you don't have much time if there's still water inside it will corrode the moving engine parts.

Take a couple new sets of spark plugs with you.

It probably doesn't idle well due to residual water fowling the spark plugs. On the trailer a carbureted 951 will idle in excess of 3,000 RPM, but yours might be the 951-DI? The DI idles about 1400RPM I believe.

Thanks, I did blow the water out when I got home and fogged the motor as well, I guess I need to change plugs because it won't run long it just starts and immediately dies.

I am going to change plugs in the morning, is it possible that I got water in the gas? It was turned over for at least 5 minutes, also the oil tank looks fuller than I thought it was, is it possible water can get into those tanks?

I am going to change plugs in the morning, is it possible that I got water in the gas? It was turned over for at least 5 minutes, also the oil tank looks fuller than I thought it was, is it possible water can get into those tanks?

it won't run long it just starts and immediately dies.

Yes of course, this is always a concern. You may draw samples from the feed lines of the respective tanks of the fluids and allow them to settle in a glass jar to inspect for water contamination. Be especially careful not to introduce air bubbles in the oil injection system or assume you have and simply bleed the air from the injection pump as described in the service manual. Be careful not to overtighten the bleeder screw, it's easy to break.

Since it does start this means at least one spark plug is firing, possibly both. But... If there's no fuel it won't run long if at all so make sure the tank fuel valve isn't turned off. Of course if there's water in the tank displacing the fuel that won't ignite in the cylinders.

Good luck, you need to get it running ASAP and take it for at least a 30 minute ride. No need to run it hard, but the longer the better to get the engine dried out internally so the crankshaft needle bearings and cast iron cylinder sleeves don't rust.

Plan on a few sets of new spark plugs to speed things up, and perhaps some carburetor cleaner solvent to dry the wet ones. Basically though once plugs are fowled it's best just to replace them but try to clean them with solvent if possible if they're fairly new (less than 1 tank of fuel) and just wet with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back