DIY additional gauges (please advise)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quaki

Hi
I'm going to buy my first Jetboat or PWC (I prefer boat but PWC gives more fun ). To prevent piston meltdown and other problems with engine described on this forum, I want to adapt my LCD gauge to make my new "toy" a little safer . The prototype of this gauge was build to my streetrace car and it looks like that
Car gauge screen.jpg
As a screen I will use waterproof Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5)
attached to my arm (like on photo) or attached to the holder in case of boat.
hand PWC holder with screen.jpg
The gauge has two parts:
1. Main unit (silver or black box on the pictures below ) which allows connect 1-12 analog senders(1-8 black box and 1-12 silver box) all data is send to android device by Bluetooth connection.
Wireless connection prevent from making holes for wires ect. Every wires are hidden in the engine bay.
Main unit silver.jpg Main unit black.jpg
2. Android phone with my software to show values and log them into memory.
Every value has its Alarm. Alarms are
-visual ( cell with to high or to low value change the color on red)
-by sound (phone plays loud alarm sound )
-by buzzer (phone vibrates but only for arm holder in other case there is no point of this )

Now the question for you people. Please advise what measurement should I consider for PWC/JetBoat. All kind of sport has it's own problems and dangerous for the engine. Please advise what is important to measure what is not in my car I use Autogauge sensors (exept egt this are specialized more accurate industrial k-type thermocouples ). But I can calibrate for almost any sensor if I can get the datasheet of it or can measure it directly.

People make custom gauge pods for PWCs. I'd suggest figuring out how to waterproof your electronics, and then create a custom mold for the glove box. This is where many have put their gauges and also is pretty well protected from water spray while still being visible.

JoeZ thanks for suggestion but if you use waterproof phone (like my galaxy s5 or some Sony phones) you don’t have to make this waterproof because sender unit can be placed in the engine bay as high as it is possible (this is only place where you connect any wires) so if you flood engine bay with water that high you engine will be broken and you wont need any gauge any more . The phone you can attached anywhere using holder (the data transmission is wireless).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back