Disconnect/Replace Electrical Connectors

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalamar112

I have a 96/xp that has a bad start/stop switch. Since my VTS unit is currently on the fritz and is disconnected I was thinking of highjacking one of the vts switches in the handlebars and using it as a start stop switch (I'm cheap, I know). I have tried one other time to disassemble one of those electrical connectors and ended up destroying it. Any advice or special tools that I need to be able to take two of them appart, move some wires around and then put it back together?

Start/stop...

This switch is a combo switch to the mpem. Push it once and it starts. Push it again and it stops. Push it 5 times and you'll get the one long, one short beep that signals your in advanced diagnostic mode.

Can you use the VTS switch. The VTS switch has 3 wires. A common wire and then two others that are used to connect to the common. The way it is used on the VTS is that common wire is hot and the other two run the motor in positive or reverse polarity.

I think, any two wire set up that understood and applied correctly would work. I have done this but only on pre DESS engines. So, I'd say give it a whirl, you got nothing to lose, as long as you hook it up to nothing but the Start/Stop wires at the handle bar and make sure all VTS wires are terminated........:cheers:

Success!!

I was not able to figure out how to open electrical connectors to rewire them, so I cut and spliced the wires. I used the blue and the black wire from the VTS switches and wired them to the two wires that were previously wired to the start/stop switch. Since the switch just completes the circuit when depressed it seems to have no problems. All systems are now go (except the VTS) and it turned over the first try. Thanks for your quick reply.

*** A note for trouble shooters ***

Before making this change my start/stop switch was stuck down permanently causing the circuit to remained closed. This would drain my battery quickly, I would get no beeps and no gauge lights. Though I have seen several other things cause problems like this, checking the start/stop switch with an ohm meter is a quick thing to check off the list before moving on to more difficult items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back