Dirty Rave Valves? Wrong Oil?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

97SeadooGSX

I just put in new rave valves after rebuilding the engine (piston locked up). The ski runs great, however after only 1 hour of running, the brand new shinny rave valves are really dirty/black! I cant imagine all this buildup, so fast, is good for them. Or is this normal?

I am using Pennzoil Marine Synthetic Blend TC-W3 oil. Someone told be I should only use Quicksliver Full Synthetic TC-W3 becuase its made specifically for jetskis?!?!?! Could it be the oil I am using. My mixture is correct, I mix it in a 40:1 ratio. Also, could it be that I should I be using a High Octane fuel? Someone else mentioned that to me.

Or is this just normal buildup? SEE PICS BELOW

Any advice and all help is very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• rave dirty 1.jpg
    rave dirty 1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 52
  • rave dirty 2.jpg
    rave dirty 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 52
  • rave dirty 3.jpg
    rave dirty 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 51
what's so wrong with the sea-doo oil? I've been running that for 11 years now...

Do you mean the SeaDoo brand oil? If so, then there's nothing wrong with it... the original posted said he was using Pennzoil

If you are saying that you've been using Pennzoil for 11 years... then someone else should chime in

Alright - thanks! Because my mechanic told me any TC-W3 oil would work, but I notice now reading the fine print on the back it says good for use in all outboard motors requiring TC-W3. Obviously this isnt an outboard. Im an idiot, i took what he said and didnt pay very good attention to the bottle.

Getting her back to normal - Besides cleaning the raves with carb cleaner, and syphoning out the current fuel in my tank, is there anything I should do for the motor to clean this crap out? Im afraid my pistons and sleeves look like the raves did! maybe something I could spray down there to clean her out? God forbid I get piston problem from this!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

theres a Quiksilver oil labeled "PWC". That oil is acceptable, it says "sea-doo" on back label.

Read my Thread entitled Quicksilver PWC 2-Stroke Oil Colloquy that I posted yesterday.

I endeavored to provide members that want to use QS oil some helpful information that will enable them to make a well reasoned decision.

Since all the info you need is posted in that Thread, and to avoid repeating myself, do yoruself a favor and read it.

You can't go wrong following SeaDoYa's input.

bottom line is, a full synthetic will not gum up your exhaust valves as fast as a not sythetic or a synthetic blend. and im not jumping to any one brand of oil either. keep in mind if your compression is a little lower you will also build more carbon and end up with a heavy build up on things. Also if your oil ratio is wrong you will get this problem. but you said you already checked that. does the other rave look the same?

can you just pull out the rave valve. do you need to do anything and do you need a gasket

I just cleaned the RAVE valves on my 97 GTX and replaced the gaskets and O-Rings. If the gaskets are in good condition, you might be able to reuse them. If the O-Rings are hard, they should be replaced. You'll see that one RAVE will come out assembled and one will have to be disassembled as you take it out as the exhaust pipe will prevent you from being able to take it out assembled. Make sure when you put it back together you can read TOP on the RAVE blade as you reinsert it. I used a stainless steel pot scrubber and some WD-40 to scrape off the carbon deposits. Cleaned up real nice and was pretty easy. :hurray:

Attachments

• RAVE.JPG
    RAVE.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 24
bottom line is, a full synthetic will not gum up your exhaust valves as fast as a not sythetic or a synthetic blend. and im not jumping to any one brand of oil either. keep in mind if your compression is a little lower you will also build more carbon and end up with a heavy build up on things. Also if your oil ratio is wrong you will get this problem. but you said you already checked that. does the other rave look the same?

Yes, the other rave looks the exact same. You mentioned the oil ratio. I use a 40:1 mixture, as told to me by my mechanic - wana make sure though this is the correct ratio?!?!? could be my problem, getting bad info!

but i already bought some of the seadoo synthetic, i just have to figure out a way to syphon out the bad stuff

Lemme know what you all recommend on that oil ratio - and is high octane fuel better than the 87 stuff?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back