Difficulty Starting, Any Help Appreciated

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies in advance for bogging down the forum with another thread about having difficulties with ignition, but I am a broke college student so my only option is to fix it myself. I apologize for a few lacking details the machine belongs to a friend of mine who also owns another seadoo, so if I fix it I get to ride it.

From the beginning:

The machine is an early model 3-d with a 4 stroke engine. It sat for a few years before we decided to take it out again. Surprisingly enough we were able to get it to start up on trailer with a new battery. The next day we took it out to the lake where we had trouble getting it to start in the water. We took it out and after a few minutes we were able to start it up again on the trailer, we kept it running for awhile in order to burn off some of the old fuel that was still in the tank (yes bad). Filled it up with some new gas, got it back in the water, and it started up and ran well for about an hour. During this time we were able to kill it and restart it without any problems. My only complaint is that it did seem somewhat sluggish coming out of corners. Also the top speed that we were able to reach with the throttle open did not seem like its full potential. I was able to play around on it for about an hour doing tight turns and jumping on the throttle, during this time it worked fine. Then as I was cruising at top speed in a straight line for about 500 yards the machine completely died on me in the middle of the lake. It did not throttle down, enter limp mode, change sounds, or give any signs of dying it just quit.

When I plug the lanyard in it makes the normal chirps and the display lights up as normal. When I press the ignition button the engine seems to turns over, it sounds like it normally does before it should fire, however it will not fire. We let it sit for awhile and attempted again but to no avail. We repeated this process throughout the day both in and out of the water with the same effect. Also the amount of time the engine attempts to start seems directly correlated to the amount of time it has been sitting for. If it has been sitting for an hour it tries to start for at least 4-5 seconds, but this time decreases with each attempt following the first until it does not try to start at all (wait another 20 minutes and the process repeats). We have tried multiple times throughout the last week to get it to start but it has been a waste of time with the same results. Also upon returning home we pulled the rear plugs and a decent amount of water flowed out (I don't know if this would have been detrimental to the electronic components).

I have a limited mechanical background, but I am able to navigate my way around an engine. I was hoping that if anyone has had a similar problem or are able to diagnose the problem via the description they would be able to point me in the right direction to fixing it so that I can get back out on the lake. I would really prefer to not have to go back to the seadoo shop to get this fixed, especially since they always have the most expensive solution for fixing problems.

Anyways, I appreciate any help that ya'll are able to provide. If this is a repost of a similar thread please link me to it.

It should be a 2 stroke has the engine been swapped?
Give the battery a solid charge and change the spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back