Differences between the 587 white motor and the yellow motor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwolf311

I have 2 1991 seadoo skis and I'm thinking about just changing out the motor itself but i keep coming up w/ an option of either a white motor or the yellow motor, i don't know if there is a difference but if there is what are they if you don't mind helping me out..

Its been a bit since I made the swap, but there are some differences. The main ones I know of are the cooling system. The white motors ciculate water a bit better & use different exhaust manifolds. The yellows have a different block. they lack the threaded boss's for the PTO flywheel cover, & have different mounting for the mag housing. If you have a yellow motor, you can't use the white mag housing. The larger yellow housing has all the iginition electronics housed inside, the white has them in the E-box. Otherwise the pistons & cranks are the same & they will swap, you just need to keep the exhaust for each style. The white stator & flyweel will bolt onto the yellow engine, I have made that swap before. I think I might even have some pictures......

Same HP on both engines, its just that the white engine was more refined with the electronics, the mag housing was better & cooled a bit better, and some other small details. I believe the 580's were at 55 rated HP & the dual carbed versions were at 60HP simular engine otherwise. they will both bolt in the same, the biggest issue is the electronics IMO. Easy to convert a yellow engine if you have the white engines electreical parts, but not so easy to put a white engine in a yellow engine ski. (1988-1991)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you determined why? be sure to find the cause before you R&R the engine. Got any pictures?

my buddy took a picture of the hole in the piston the other day and im taking another picture of the plug once i get to my buddies tomorrow. the plug was pretty much DESTROYED inside the motor

Most of the time when a plug looks beat like that, its more likely piston or other engine debris going through the top of the engine. No place for it to go & the piston dome, head & plug get pounded. Usually a hole in the piston comes from detonation that can be caused from several things, but without pictures, thats just a wild guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back