DESS post replaced, now hear clicking with lanyard off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wreevesj2

I would like some help with an issue I am having with my 2004 GTX 4-TEC. I have about 125 hours on it and it runs great. This summer, I noted it was getting harder and harder to get the lanyard to connect with the DESS post to start the engine. Also, I started to note water in the bottom of the ski - no more than an inch or so after on the lake. I determined the leak was coming from the seal tubes covering the tie rods and took it to the local Seadoo Dealer to have them replaced and also check out the DESS post. They replaced the seal tubes and DESS post (just the DESS post by splicing the wires I was told) and all was well.

I went out of town for a couple of week and when I returned, the battery was dead. I had just bought a new one 2 months earlier. It had never gone dead before even after not using the ski for several weeks. After I charged the battery (out of the jet ski), it started right up and ran perfect all day stopping and starting several times. When I returned to my dock, I lifted the seat to check the battery and it read 12.5 volts with the lanyard removed and when running read 13.1 volts meaning the stator was working.

However, with the lanyard removed, I heard a single click, then about 13 seconds later, heard a second click that sounded a little different and then about 9 seconds later heard the first click again. This then continued on and on until I disconnected the battery. I also heard a faint humming noise between the first and second clicks like something was running. This would explain the drain on the battery. There were no other sounds like the beeping that occurs when you attach the lanyard and the tachometer, etc. did not come to life.

I took it back to the dealer and was told the ECU (price $1050.00) was bad and it was telling the ski that the lanyard was on the post. They could not tell me what the clicking noise was even though they could clearly hear it. The mechanic told me they temporarily put another ECU in my ski and the clicking stopped. I really do not want to put a $1000 part plus labor in a 14 year old ski, so I attached a battery disconnect switch so that when I finish for the day, I disconnect the battery and the next time I use it, I connect the battery, of course the clicking resumes, but it starts right up and runs great.

My concern is that the battery has never gone dead like that before and in the past, when I have lifted the seat to check the oil level or check for water inside the ski, I never heard the clicking until after the seal tubes and DESS post were replaced. My question is could replacing the DESS post damaged the ECU?

Are there any other issues going on that could be part of this problem and is it OK to continue to ride the ski? Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back