DESS post question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Dan

Having a no start/ no beep situation on a 2000XP. Did some troubleshooting (thanks to the great info on this site) and found that the DESS post is suspect. There is continuity between black wire & black wire w/ yellow tracer with the lanyard cap off.

I plan on replacing the post/ switch. I have 2 questions: 1. Once I get the part installed do I need to have it programed by a seadoo dealer? Or can I buy an already programed switch & cap. 2. Can anyone recommend a source of supply.

Thanks this is a great site!

Lanyard....

If you still have your lanyard cap, that is what has the ROM chip inside that's programmed to your MPEM........so, if you replace the post, your lanyard cap that you are using now, will still work.
This is an easy fix. Remove and unplug your old one, put the new one in. That simple.
Remember to disconnect your battery before working on your electrical systems.
There are advertisers on our home page, just to the left hand side. I've used one of them on several occasions..........other than that, you can google, there are several available. But price wise, I've found the ones advertised on this site to be in-expensive.

Thanks, for the quick turnaround. Thats good news... I thought for sure it would need to be re-programed. In fact, I got the resistance measurements/ troubleshooting procedure from one your old posts.

Is your use of the word snipe in your user name a reference to a naval enginer?

Good Guess!

Wow, out of the whole time I've been a moderator, no-one has asked that question!..............but yes, your very right. I'm still a snipe in my civi life too. Boilers and steam turbines.........
Congratulations!........I'm impressed. I thought our breed was dead...:rofl:
That's why I'm here. "I got your back!"..........

Older...yes

Your right about that. I just got my first AARP letter in the mail this past month.........LOL........are you a snipe too? If so, from where? Look at your pm's, I'm gonna send you a quick note.

Update

OK... I got the new DESS post installed (properly) and still have no power to gauges, start button vts,also no beeps, when original lanyard cap installed on new post. I have good battery w/ 12.5v at solenoid, no fuses blown, continuity on all wires from DESS post all the way to MPEM cannon plug.

When I test the blk & blk w/ yellow tracer still have continuity (11.5 k ohms) with the DESS lanyard cap off. When I test w/ lanyard cap on it reads .003 ohms.

Does anyone know how to test if the MPEM is getting power.
I cannot figure out what wire is the power supply. This may be a dumb question, but does the MPEM get power from the solenoid. I have continuity from yellow & red wire from the solenoid to the MPEM cannon plug.

I will be purchasing a manual or prefered membership next.

BTW I bought this 2000 XP not running, so I do not know if someone fried the MPEM...

Thanks
-Dan

Dan the mpem supplies power to the solenoid. I don't beleive that you can test to see if the mpem is getting power except that it is fed from the battery via the fuse box. It sound like the mpem might be bad. All fuses are good? Everything inside the mpem is unable to be tested.

Karl

Thanks Karl. Obviosly I want to be certain the MPEM is bad before I start looking at repair/ replacement options. So, there is no way to be sure the MPEM is bad?

Thanks for the help

-Dan

I've asked that same question, if there is an easy test to figure out for sure if the mpem is bad and have been told it either works or it doesn't... I would ask you local seadoo dealer if he has a clue to test it to be bad. All seadoo dealers can connect to the to look for other info. I would think if it was bad it wouldn't be connectible at all. It's worth a try. Let me know how you make out.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back