DESS key size difference

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

thejuice48

I ordered a brand new Seadoo branded DESS key. It arrived yesterday and I compared it to my old key, and the round attachment part looks smaller. Are there different versions of the DESS keys?

Well the #*#*#*#*#* advertised it as a DESS key with the correct part number. Grrr. I'm really getting sick of this DESS. Can I send my MPEM off to remove the DESS function so any key will work?

Well the #*#*#*#*#* advertised it as a DESS key with the correct part number. Grrr. I'm really getting sick of this DESS. Can I send my MPEM off to remove the DESS function so any key will work?
Welcome to the party. DESS was designed as nothing more than a engineered method of obsolescence. People would become frustrated that they needed a new key which would become an opportunity for the dealer to sell new units. DESS is one of the very first ways that manufacturers started locking the end user from performing maintenance on their own vehicles. Sure, the automotive industry was slowly moving in that direction as well during the mid 90's but at least there was competition between scan-tool manufacturers. Before CanDooPro came out, the only option was the dealer scan tool.

Some MPEMs can disable DESS using a CanDooPro. Some MPEMs will turn into a brick. Otherwise buying an aftermarket MPEM(if one is available through WSMParts) is the only option.

Welcome to the party. DESS was designed as nothing more than a engineered method of obsolescence. People would become frustrated that they needed a new key which would become an opportunity for the dealer to sell new units. DESS is one of the very first ways that manufacturers started locking the end user from performing maintenance on their own vehicles. Sure, the automotive industry was slowly moving in that direction as well during the mid 90's but at least there was competition between scan-tool manufacturers. Before CanDooPro came out, the only option was the dealer scan tool.

Some MPEMs can disable DESS using a CanDooPro. Some MPEMs will turn into a brick. Otherwise buying an aftermarket MPEM(if one is available through WSMParts) is the only option.
Found someone out of MN that will remove the DESS feature. I figure in the long run it will be cheaper than worrying about keys. Even with DESS, my RXP was stolen right of the trailer locked down with chains, locks, blocked in by cars. If someone wants to steal something they will. I no longer keep any of my skis on floating docks, but I also never caught anyone brazen enough try to remove the cover from my ski, attach and key and try to take off from right behind my condos from 1997 - 2009. They were however ballsy enough to steal the one on the trailer very blocked in, protected, and went unnoticed.

My two options at this point are an aftermarket MPEM, or send mine to be modified. Seems like simple math and rationale.

Let us know how it goes, never heard of DESS being able to be removed from a OEM MPEM.

I specifically asked if he could remove the feature. He has an original Seadoo BUDS, so perhaps it's doable with that, but not a candoo?

If anyone needs DESS keys programmed I do them in person in Raleigh, NC 27615. I hope you get yours figured out.

Update:

It is possible to disable the DESS feature. It now works with any key. It still does the double-beep, so someone would not know it's disabled and a long beep when key isn't seated right. Hopefully by the time I get the battery back in with the new motor it will remain so. Otherwise, it will be off to MN again!

Found someone out of MN that will remove the DESS feature. I figure in the long run it will be cheaper than worrying about keys. Even with DESS, my RXP was stolen right of the trailer locked down with chains, locks, blocked in by cars. If someone wants to steal something they will. I no longer keep any of my skis on floating docks, but I also never caught anyone brazen enough try to remove the cover from my ski, attach and key and try to take off from right behind my condos from 1997 - 2009. They were however ballsy enough to steal the one on the trailer very blocked in, protected, and went unnoticed.

My two options at this point are an aftermarket MPEM, or send mine to be modified. Seems like simple math and rationale.
I’m interested to hear your results. I just bought a new 2022 fishpro and wanted a spare key made. I took it to the stealership who screwed around with the keys but could never get the machine to accept both keys as programmed. It was either the original or the new one, not both. I would like to trash the Dess.

Go to another dealer. Programming keys should take 5 minutes for any competent dealer.
That was my thought as well, but I don't have another dealership in the area and I don't want to tow my ski two hours away just to get the same story that BRP screwed up. Do you know if multiple keys are a possibility on the 2022 Fishpro machines. The technician said he's had no problem programming multiple keys with the BRP side by sides.

Yes, up to 8 keys can be programmed. You can also have your learning key turned into a regular key if you don't have a need for a low speed key which most people don't. Tell your dealer to use buds2 and to make sure to write it to the ECU after they add it.

Yes, up to 8 keys can be programmed. You can also have your learning key turned into a regular key if you don't have a need for a low speed key which most people don't. Tell your dealer to use buds2 and to make sure to write it to the ECU after they add it.
The ridiculous thing is that this machine only came with one key. There is no learner key as with older machines. My local dealer has not been at all helpful and tries to screw me every chance he gets including trying to charge me for a new key when he can't get the key purchased from Sea Doo to program. Can you explain the significance of buds2 in the programming. I watched this video from 2019 that made it look like a straight forward process.

How To Program A DESS Key For Your Sea Doo Personal Water Craft Jet Ski​

sorry I pasted the wrong link in the original response.

Last edited:
Most of the newer machines, GTX, RXT, RXP, etc. come with 2 keys including the programmable lower speed key as well where you can set the speed to limit it to. I would expect the fishpro to be the same.

BUDS2 is the latest version of the BRP software which came out in like 2016 but regular BUDS works on most everything until 22 or 23 models. BUDS will probabaly read the ECU but it may not be able to complete the programming process.

I believe I had a learning key with both of my RX's too. They were colored differently than the original.

I have had no problems with removing the DESS feature, and as long as you don't tell anyone, they would likely never know nor try.

Although some have said the keys haven't changed, my friend's GTI has a wierd key that looks like the claw in those stuffed animal games where you use the claw to grab the item and drag it over to the dispenser to win it.

I told him I see these prongs breaking off at some point with too much exposure to sun.

The newer style key came out in like 2016 and is an RFI key and has been working well but have seen a few break.

I just spoke to the service manager at dealership and he's telling me that there's a programming problem with these machines that Can-Am is trying to rectify. He mentioned that it may require replacing the DESS post.

I just spoke to the service manager at dealership and he's telling me that there's a programming problem with these machines that Can-Am is trying to rectify. He mentioned that it may require replacing the DESS post.
Please start a thread in the 4-stroke PWC section for your issue.

Back