DESS Key or DESS key post problem? 97 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1TransAmMan

Hello. I am new to this forum. Recently picked up a pair of 97 GTX's. One of them runs great all day. The other one, however will run for a bit, 100 feet or so and shuts off. Sometimes you can go across the whole pond fine, but then it dies. Unplug and or jiggle the saftey key and it will make the connection and fire up, run for a bit, sometimes only a few feet before it just shuts off again. It has been getting worse and worse.

I took a peek at both and it seems like the DESS key post on the one that is running fine has been replaced- the wires are longer and have butt connectors on all 3 wires. The one that keeps cutting out has not been replaced.

If I buy a new key post will it have to be programmed or is it just the keys that have to be programmed?
Maybe it isn't the post, and it's the key? This problem is super annoying- it turned what should have been and awesome day on the water into a crappy time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Just buy a post. No programming it.

Bills86e

Thanks for the info. For now I sanded the ring and the top metal pieces on the post, as well as the metal contacts inside the DESS key. Seems to be working thus far. I am going to give it a go out on the pond. Worse comes to worse one of them is running like a champ. I won't be able to get a DESS post till Monday. The water and boobies are calling my name so I am just going to risk it for the weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back