DESS, bad post or just dirt?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzma823

Hello,
Last season I went to winterize my skis and the one(1997 GTX) would not start. It worked a few weeks before that and I decided to wait until this spring to fix the problem.
This weekend I decided to start looking at the ski again and I am a little confused by the problem. I connected the newly charged battery and hit the start button, the gauges lit up. I then connected the lanyard and hit the start button, it turned over. It did not run because I had the gas off... wasnt expecting it to even turn over. Immediately tried again and the buzzer sounded went off. It made the same sound as if you had the wrong key on the post or the key had been left on the post too long (it had only been on for about 10 seconds total). I removed the lanyard and there was black specks on the metal strip (kinda looked like iron filings), so I cleaned them off and repeated. Same thing happened... turned, buzzed, more filings.
The battery is good, the post seems good(check it with a voltmeter according to the service manual) and the lanyard it self is good.
The ski has only been in fresh water and the last repairs I made were to fix the power wire going to the gauges at the begging of last season... took them out several times after the repair.
Does it sound like I have a post that is going to die? MPEM/DESS going bad? or do I just need to REALLY clean the post and lanyards?
I appreciate any help you guys can give me.... the season opens in less than one month!

sounds like a bad battery, just because the voltage is good doesn't mean it's good, it needs to be load tested.
what you describe is exactly what weak batteries do, the single long beep means that the battery isn't supplying what the system needs. jump that battery with a jumper pack or a NON-running car.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the battery and it was good for volts, I have not been able to do the load test yet. I have tried using the battery from my other ski (same battery - Odyssyss PC625) and it does the same thing. Both battery are able to start up and keep the other ski running (97 GS), so I imagine the batteries are ok. I know the GS is a 717 and the GTX is a 787 and has more eletronic equipment, so maybe they are good enough for the GS just not enough for the GTX.

Anybody else have any other possibilities that I can look into this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back