Demo Rides

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dothadoo

Well, I got a chance to ride the new RXP-X 260 today and man, what a machine! Not that it was slow, but I was a little surprised when I only reached 65mph. The sport mode is definitely the way to go. I did like the option for the eco mode and the inability to give it too much gas. I really wish I could have ridden it in some calmer water, but is was still fun. It was nice getting back on a ski and throwing it around, as i own a Speedster 150, 215hp.

I also drove the GTX 155, with the suspension. Needless to say the engine felt as though it was lacking after riding the RXP-X. It was, however more comfortable, but not really due to the suspension so much. The suspension helped out on some of the really small chop, but the 1-3' waves were still very jarring. I think if I were buying one, I would not pay the extra money for the suspension, but it is an interesting concept. Bottom line for me is that I think this would be plenty of power in the majority of situations in which I would use it.

The other nice thing I got to experience today was the iBR system. I love the new reverse and not having to pull out a lever. Having it at your fingertips makes maneuvering so much easier.

One machine I wish I could have seen in action was the Wake model with the ballast installed. One of the dealers was saying that it threw up a nice wake, for a Sea Doo. Not that I doubt him, but I would like to see in person and perhaps ride behind the ski to determine for myself if it was a nice wake.

Does anyone own a Wake 155 or 215 with the ballast system and what are your thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the iBR just an electronic solenoid that controls the reverse bucket function? I'm guessing it operates as a standard neutral/reverse at idle, and a brake at cruising speed by sending the engine throttle electronically to idle and pulling the reverse bucket down fully to slow the watercraft rapidly?

My concern would be that it's 1 more thing to break down and need replacement. Not a feature worth buying a new SeaDoo for, for me at least. I'll be sticking with my 2006 RXT for a long time most likely, reverse isn't really a feature I need or use very often and there are MUCH faster ways to stop forward motion than that iBR brake feature. (a sharp turn in either direction stops all forward motion much faster than iBR can, and looking/thinking ahead is always a useful thing when boating: keep eyeballs out and head on a swivel at all times so you know what other watercraft are nearby and what they are doing)

- Michael

Well, I got a chance to ride the new RXP-X 260 today and man, what a machine! Not that it was slow, but I was a little surprised when I only reached 65mph. The sport mode is definitely the way to go. I did like the option for the eco mode and the inability to give it too much gas. I really wish I could have ridden it in some calmer water, but is was still fun. It was nice getting back on a ski and throwing it around, as i own a Speedster 150, 215hp.

How many hrs were on the demo unit?

aside...all pwc manufacturers have an agreement with the USCG re keeping the speed below 70. Don't believe for a second that that ski was made to run a max 65.

As far as the IBR goes, I agree with the fact that there are much faster and better ways to come to a stop. I am also a motorcycle rider, so looking ahead and anticipating what is coming is second nature to me. I would not buy one with that just because it had that option. Turning away from something is much faster than the actual iBR function. Being the electronic feature, it has a half second lag, which could be a bad thing.

It does act as a normal Neutral and reverse as well. The iBR is just beefed up to handle slowing from high speed. What I did like was that it was controlled with the trigger rather than a handle. I love having reverse and always wondered why they never had them on the smaller machines. It makes docking so much easier and safer. Sure, you can cut the engine and coast in, but there is no control there. That is also me and the fact that I am anal about my machines getting nicked. Our old GTi always got hooked to a bouy and if you wanted to ride it, you were going swimming. It was cherry when we got rid of it bc of that.

Unrelated, I always wonder why Sea Doo did not add the VTS to a 3 seater. Obviously those that have an RXT would not really care too much, but it does make a difference in the ride quallity and you get a little top speed advantage. I did not care for the way that you have to go through th menu to select VTS, then adjust it. I would rather not have to think about it and just adjust it on the fly. That being said, I really wish my Speedster had a VTS.

With all the features they are putting on these things now, there is so much that can go wrong. While I like the bells and whistles, sometimes it is nice to get back to basics like the good ole 96 XP, where all you have is a trim guage, fuel guage and Speedo.

Some RXT year models had VTS like the '05 RXT, some like my '06 RXT don't though... I do not understand why that is. I'd love to be able to add VTS to my '06 RXT, variable nozzle trim helps my jetboat noticably I can tailor it's ride to the water conditions trimming the bow up a little for smoother waters at higher speeds to reduce the wetted surface and then trimming the bow down for rougher water at ALL speeds so it'll cut thru the chop more easily and smoothly.

At least my RXT does have the reverse lever, though it would be nicer on the handlebars it would not be practical unless operated electronically (such as the iBR system does; I wouldn't care for that additional complexity I prefer having cable control of the throttle, steering AND reverse functions). I agree reverse is REALLY necessary when pulling up to a dock, that's the 1 time when being able to slow and stop forward motion without turning is pretty important!

It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be much interest in aftermarket upgrades such as VTS systems for models which didn't come with it and perhaps even handlebar mounted reverse actuators I guess. The only fingertip throttle aftermarket upgrade I do not care for as it requires extending the handlebars out further and for me they're already in the exact right positions but that OEM thumb throttle lever sure causes thumb cramping I have to take frequent rest breaks to get the feeling back in my right thumb! Arghhhh! Finger throttle would be oh so much easier on my hand!

- Michael

I also had a chance to ride the rxp and the T3 hull can turn on a dime. After riding it, all the others feels like mush. I ended up buying the rxt with the s3 hull for more versatility in the waves because the T3 hull is supposedly more for course racing on flatter water. Top speed depends on a lot of different conditions and factors of course, but if the machine was really new, (less than 5 hours), then the engine would have been electronically limited and will would only have let you do 65 on relatively flat water. The models with suspension make for a smooth ride, but I prefer a little chop...its the difference between a sports car and a Cadillac. Even though the technology works, it seems like it is one more maintenance issue to deal with down the road.

What is strange about one RXT having it and the other not, is that it is the newer that does not. Did the hull design change that year or something?

Oh man agreed with the thumb throttle. I am glad that they changed that.

The 2005 RXT hull looks identical to the 2006 RXT hull, yet VTS was apparently standard on the 2005 RXT but no even an option on the 2006 RXT. I have not got a clue why! They did change to an all LCD instrument cluster in the 2006 model RXP/RXT, but the 2006 RXP had the option of VTS still while the RXT did not have that option even. It's weird I swear... I cannot figure if there's any technical reason why the VTS system from a parted out 2006 RXP wouldn't fit my 2006 RXT, I've been afraid to try investing in the parts to find out since I have no access to a 2006 RXP w/VTS to compare in person to my 2006 RXT.

Thumb throttles suck, no doubt! I hate that 1 feature about mine but otherwise love the size and color scheme and wouldn't trade it for a new 2012 model!

- Michael

Negative..the '05 RXT's did not come standard with vts.

I have heard of people doing the mod though.

To each his own..I love my oem thumb throttle over a finger throttle.

I've seen many pics of '05 "Green Hulk" RXT's with the VTS buttons clearly visible on the handlbars... many on CraigsList and Ebay. I wonder how they did this mod? If you come across any descriptions on how to add the VTS system onto an RXT please do let me know!!!! I thought surely it must have been standard in '05 to find so often pics of green/black '05 RXT's with VTS system....

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back