De-winterizing Seadoo Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelue

I have had my 2004 Seadoo Sportster for a couple years now and the first winter I had it, I took it to a shop and they winterized it. When the weather got nice the next summer, I just charged the battery, checked all the hoses and put it in the water. However, it smoked really bad for like 10 minutes (kinda embarrassing when your at a large boat ramp). It was fine all last year and now I am ready to put it to use. I have checked/replaced hoses and charged the battery but I still don't know what to do about the smoking. Will hooking it up to the hose and starting it burn off whatever is smoking?

Smoking is normal

The smoking is a fogging oil they squirt down the sparkplug holes that displaces water and prevents anymore from entering the engine and rusting during the sitting. They take out the plugs and squirt some in the hole, then bump the starter a couple times without cranking it so it will suck it up and work it through the system. It keeps it all lubricated. Thats what the smoking is burning off during the first ten minutes of running the engine. The best thing to do is like you said, crank it in the yard and run it on the hose for a bit until the smoking stops. I wouldn't run it for more than 3 min. at a time though (I don't know if this hurts the engine but it seems to me that I was told 2-3 min is all you want to run it on a hose) , Then if it's still smoking let it cool down for 10 min, and crank it for another 3 min. You should be good once the smoke stops and you will be embarrasment free.

Is it a Sportster LE? If it is... it's a 2 stroke, and it's going to smoke until the oil that seeps into the crankcase purges out.

I had my boat out for the first time this year the other day, and it left a smoke screen as I left the ramp. (nature of the beast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back