Currently getting towed...(UPDATE 2)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound happened instantly when I was driving with the lose of power.

The same issue out of the water. The sound is not the normal sound with or without water. It is higher pitched/violent. The wear ring looked pretty normal. There were like tiny scrapes but barely anything a finger nail could grip to.

Friend confirmed the rear was spinning but said it looked "wobbly". Not sure if that matters.

Here you're saying your friend saw the impeller moving correct? If the impeller is moving, then more than likely, there's nothing stuck in your pump and you need to look elsewhere.

Once you have the chance, put her on the hose and take video of the sounds she's making as well as what the impeller is doing. This would be extremely helpful in trying to figure this out.

Sounds to me like something is jammed in the impeller. Does it sound normal at idle and then makes noise once you increase the power? Last year I was cruising at 30mph and all of a sudden the boat started to shake violently accompanied with a terrible engine sound. I thought for sure it was catastrophic engine failure, but the boat idled normally. Everything seemed fine with the engine so I jumped in the water to check the intake and found nothing. I was long ways out on the lake so I figured I'd try to clear whatever it was by revving it up. After 4 or 5 attempts at high power it spit something out and everything was back to normal. I assume it was a stick or some other solid object.

Sound is always there. High pitched, like the normal sound but with more metal on metal.

Here you're saying your friend saw the impeller moving correct? If the impeller is moving, then more than likely, there's nothing stuck in your pump and you need to look elsewhere.

Once you have the chance, put her on the hose and take video of the sounds she's making as well as what the impeller is doing. This would be extremely helpful in trying to figure this out.

Will do, maybe able to tonight.

Sound is always there. High pitched, like the normal sound but with more metal on metal.

I had a similar sound one day. It turned out to be the drive shaft guard was resting on the driveshaft causing the noise. Once I tightened it back up, all was good. Do you have the guard and have you checked it?

I had a similar sound one day. It turned out to be the drive shaft guard was resting on the driveshaft causing the noise. Once I tightened it back up, all was good. Do you have the guard and have you checked it?

I'm such a noob when it comes to these boats. Got another picture? lol

After rethinking this, I doubt it's the shaft guard as it shouldn't result in a loss of power. Loud, metal on metal squealing noise, yes, but doubtful on the loss of power. Here's a diagram. When under the boat looking up through the intake grate, you should see a shiny polished tube where the driveshaft passes through. Sometimes the 2 screws that hold them in come loose, allowing the guard to sag and hit the spinning driveshaft inside.
Guard 2.jpgGuard.jpg

The sound happened instantly when I was driving with the lose of power.

The same issue out of the water. The sound is not the normal sound with or without water. It is higher pitched/violent. The wear ring looked pretty normal. There were like tiny scrapes but barely anything a finger nail could grip to.

Friend confirmed the rear was spinning but said it looked "wobbly". Not sure if that matters.

Absolutely not true. Motor would not run if impeller couldn't turn. Assuming it was attached to the driveshaft still...

Very high chance something is wedged between one of the impeller blades and the wear ring. Just one small 1/8" wide x 1" long piece of wood between the impeller and wear ring will cause said issue. They sound ok at idle but anything above gets scary sounding and all propulsion is lost . Need to inspect closely the gap between impeller and wear ring.

Absolutely not true. Motor would not run if impeller couldn't turn. Assuming it was attached to the driveshaft still...

Very high chance something is wedged between one of the impeller blades and the wear ring. Just one small 1/8" wide x 1" long piece of wood between the impeller and wear ring will cause said issue. They sound ok at idle but anything above gets scary sounding and all propulsion is lost . Need to inspect closely the gap between impeller and wear ring.

What's not true? His friend said he saw the impeller moving. I stated if it's moving then more than likely there pump is clear. We agree that the motor wouldn't run if the impeller couldn't turn.

What's not true? His friend said he saw the impeller moving. I stated if it's moving then more than likely there pump is clear. We agree that the motor wouldn't run if the impeller couldn't turn.
Motor running=impeller turning right? Ok op says motor is running. So that means impeller is turning and op friend confirms this by seeing it turn. By your statement then, there is no reason to look at the impeller and pump because it must be clear since its turning.

What I'm saying is there are many times you will wedge a small piece of something between impeller and wear ring and still see the impeller turn but have the exact symptoms the op is describing. Op needs to look closer at impeller...

Motor running=impeller turning right? Ok op says motor is running. So that means impeller is turning and op friend confirms this by seeing it turn. By your statement then, there is no reason to look at the impeller and pump because it must be clear since its turning.

What I'm saying is there are many times you will wedge a small piece of something between impeller and wear ring and still see the impeller turn but have the exact symptoms the op is describing. Op needs to look closer at impeller...

Thanks. I will attempt to look again and get that video for y'all tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Don’t be intimidated by pulling the pump. I did my first one a few weeks ago. Follow the service guide or the YouTube videos by 3ft deep. Go slow & learn along the way, granted I would rather be boating then pulling a pump but it was actually fun & I learned a lot & not a difficult job @ all. Now I have the confidence to do it & associated repairs anytime as well as building confidence to do other repairs on my own in the future. Just plan it out & make sure you have the right tools before you start. The only rare tool would be the properly sized impeller tool should you need to remove it to clear debris. You can find threads on that here & then amazon it. Also the thread locker anti seize lube. Again a quick amazon order.

Don’t be intimidated by pulling the pump. I did my first one a few weeks ago. Follow the service guide or the YouTube videos by 3ft deep. Go slow & learn along the way, granted I would rather be boating then pulling a pump but it was actually fun & I learned a lot & not a difficult job @ all. Now I have the confidence to do it & associated repairs anytime as well as building confidence to do other repairs on my own in the future. Just plan it out & make sure you have the right tools before you start. The only rare tool would be the properly sized impeller tool should you need to remove it to clear debris. You can find threads on that here & then amazon it. Also the thread locker anti seize lube. Again a quick amazon order.

I wish I could or I would. The pump has been corroded shut since I owned it but my service place told me that unless they suspected anything wrong then they don't have to break my bolts...well I just dropped it off today and they are going to have to!

The guy there thinks the impeller and drive shaft may have stripped. He was able to spin the impeller with a little tool he had and said it shouldn't give that much.

After this repair I think I am going to pick up my own impeller tool though in-case I need to clear stuff but also it does freak me out a bit. I'd hate to mess something up I don't understand or not put it back right and cause an issue when I go back out.

Update for everyone. Got the boat back on Saturday and went out. Boat kicked right on. Great idle power, better than before. Basically had the whole jet pump replaced.

Problem is when I tried to leave nothing....my luck huh?

I think it may be electrical. I hear a click when I push the button. I tried to jump and nothing but battery is showing ok.

I ordered a new starter relay switch and hopefully that is where the issue is. Can't seem to catch a break right now!!

Mine has been doing that all week (clicking). So far it has always started after pressing the start button a few times. Let us know if the relay is the cure.

Before you order a new starter relay, test the old one with a test light or voltmeter. No need to waste time or money if it's not the problem.

Chester

Before you order a new starter relay, test the old one with a test light or voltmeter. No need to waste time or money if it's not the problem.

Chester
Good idea. Currently out of town but if it isn't that what could I be looking at? Starter or something more serious?

Someone mentioned that the engine could have water in it and won't turn? Is that possible and if so could them replacing my jet pump and messing something up cause that to happen?

What was wrong with the pump that they replaced the whole thing?
They stated that there is a rubber boot filled with grease that holds the drive shaft and impeller together. Over time the grease can wear out and then strip your impeller from the drive shaft. They replaced those parts plus the wear ring.

They stated that there is a rubber boot filled with grease that holds the drive shaft and impeller together. Over time the grease can wear out and then strip your impeller from the drive shaft. They replaced those parts plus the wear ring.

Same thing happened on my buddy's ski last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back