Couple of questions for 2000 SeaDoo's RX and GTX/RFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

award64

Couple of quick questions after a long description. I recently bought a 2000 RX and a 2000 GTX RFI. The GTX did not run and after looking into it, found that it had completely shredded one of the pistons, (See pics) so I decided to replace it with a SBT rebuild. After finally getting that installed and running (after replacing the fuel pump as well) I started looking at the RX which does run but needed a few minor fixes. i.e. replacing the spark plugs. On doing this, I noticed the fuel gauge did not work. I have since found that the float was full of fuel and have ordered a replacement as well as the 1A fuse is blown so I will be repairing that as well. While researching the fuel gauge problems I found that the grey tempo fuel lines need to be replaced as well, so now I am working on this... And on and on and on.... :facepalm:

Now for the questions...
1) Does anyone know how many feet of 1/4 and 5/16 line I need to buy for the RX, and do I need to use marine grade line or will regular line from the auto parts store work?
2) Other than the main fuel filter, the carb filters, and the fuel switch, is there anything else I need to look at or clean when I replace the lines?
3) Do I need to replace the lines on the GTX? Since it is fuel injected, I assume it is using a different type of line even though it is still Tempo. I cannot find anything on this and would like to confirm.
4) Does anyone know what could have caused the damage to the piston on the GTX? Just want to do what I can to prevent it from happening again.

Please feel free to comment on anything you think may help. I have owned several boats, but these are my first ski's and I am still low on the learning curve.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have. As I said, these are my first ski's and after all the money I keep sinking into them it would be nice to get to ride them at least once. :drool5:Skis.jpg

Attachments

• Piston.jpg
    Piston.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 22
Now for the questions...
1) Does anyone know how many feet of 1/4 and 5/16 line I need to buy for the RX, and do I need to use marine grade line or will regular line from the auto parts store work?
2) Other than the main fuel filter, the carb filters, and the fuel switch, is there anything else I need to look at or clean when I replace the lines?
3) Do I need to replace the lines on the GTX? Since it is fuel injected, I assume it is using a different type of line even though it is still Tempo. I cannot find anything on this and would like to confirm.
4) Does anyone know what could have caused the damage to the piston on the GTX? Just want to do what I can to prevent it from happening again.

Please feel free to comment on anything you think may help. I have owned several boats, but these are my first ski's and I am still low on the learning curve.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have. As I said, these are my first ski's and after all the money I keep sinking into them it would be nice to get to ride them at least once. :drool5:View attachment 30691

1) Standard automotive fuel line. I bought a 25' roll of each and probably have 8' leftover of each. It is only about $1 per foot.
2) You need to rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni kits and needle and seats. Reuse your old springs as the three in the kit are not correct. You will need one kit and needle and seat per carb. You should replace the o-ring in the big fuel filter and the on/off valve. I have never seen a fuel valve survive cleaning. Just replace and enjoy for another 20 years.
3) The fuel lines on the injected skis are fine.
4) Hard to say, could have been just a mechanical failure. Looks like a broken ring or piston pin bearings let go.

Be sure to replace the small 3/32" oil injection lines and injection oil filter too.

Thanks for the input mikidymac. You pretty much confirmed what I was already thinking on all points. I already replaced the oil filter so that should be good. As far as the damage to the piston, I was thinking someone got in there with a shotgun and used it for target practice. Wasn't sure what other damage could have been caused by that which is why I decided to replace the engine instead of a top end rebuild.
Thanks again for your reply

Nice looking machines.

Did you ohm test the fuel baffle? My 2000 RX as well as my '97 GTI were both bad and it was just easier for me to buy new baffles, thought they were $175 a piece. Oh well, at least I know they are new.

I bought 25' of each (1/4" and 5/16") fuel line and have...maybe 8 feet or so left over of the 1/4", and just bits and pieces of the 5/16". Normal, non-fuel injection hose works just fine. Be sure to get high quality full stainless steel hose clamps, I recommend Breeze #4 Mini clamps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381205391411?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
they are very high quality.

To get the carbs off the RX, you have to remove pretty much everything in the rear of the ski. See this thread:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...get-this-thing-out-951-carb-engine&highlight=
battery, air intakes, electrical boxes, etc. And even then it is a flat PITA to get them out. Disconnect the choke linkages and disconnect the throttle cable and take the carbs off without messing with the linkages.

Other than that, I'd just say do the normal maintenance things while you are in there such as greasing the PTO shaft, removing and cleaning the bilge filters, lube all the reverse gate linkages, change the oil in the jet pump cone, change the plugs, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info and links bajaman... I am not looking forward to rebuilding the carbs, but it needs to be done and the link should help. I will definitely do the maintenance while I can get to everything. Just ordered all the extra parts so hope to get it all done next week.

Thanks again

I was able to simply clean my carbs and re-use all the gaskets and everything. I'd bought new carb fuel filters but was able to clean the old ones with Berryman's and they came out like new.
It was such a PITA to simply get things off...but now that I know what to do, I am sure I could do the whole thing over in 1/3 the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back