couldnt help myself....This thing is badass!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
the only thing im ging to do to it is install a bigger engine...this one screams but i want it faster...i have a 383 stroker in the barn that i was thinkning of possibly dropping in too..not sure yet..the 455 is good but it needs to be cammed if i keep it...

I don't know... I grew up in the era where that's all you would see on the water. They can be fast, if built right... but they are so loud that I dont' think I would ever own one. (again) And that's they type with wet, water boxes. Open headers may be restricted on a lot of lakes.

I'm not bashing... but if they were cool, and fast... they would still be made.

Last thing... if you stick a bigger engine in it... it won't be any faster... UNLESS you are turning more RPM's. And... in more than one occasion, I've see the bowl on the pump, blow-up because of high pressure.

With that said.... Congrats on the new toy, and post up some pics once you get it.

Here's a pic from 94. you can see... we all had them. (lol) The blue one was mine. The brown one was by buddy's... and the green one was my buddy's cousin.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a good point on the rpms....im hoping to hit around 8-9000 at peak...that should move it along pretty fast but its going to take alot to get to that point...esp with a 455 olds..lol...i never liked the olds motors

opejn headers arent outlawed yet here..im sure they will be soon and this one def takes the cake on being loud!

Back in the 80s my uncle had a metal flake green one. I remember ripping around the lake and watching him hit the foot pedal throttle and the scoop barrels open. Good stuff.

The olds motors were VERY popular in the old jet boats. I'm not sure why. Both the green and brown boats had BB Olds in them. I had a 454 Chevy.

I'm not sure how long an olds will hold together turning 8000 RPM. You will need all good forged internals... balance all the rods/pistons... windage the lower, and valley.... put on a rocker girdle... and use roller cam/lifters/rockers.

Even then... I don't know if you can get enough spring tension, to close the valves fast enough. (you may need Ti valves to make them light)

If you have noise issues... we were all running Basset wet boxes. They exit out the transom, just at/under the water line. That helped keep it quiet at idle. Mine were cast aluminum, and had a hump in them, to keep the water from flowing in.

The olds motors were VERY popular in the old jet boats. I'm not sure why. Both the green and brown boats had BB Olds in them. I had a 454 Chevy.

I'm not sure how long an olds will hold together turning 8000 RPM. You will need all good forged internals... balance all the rods/pistons... windage the lower, and valley.... put on a rocker girdle... and use roller cam/lifters/rockers.

Even then... I don't know if you can get enough spring tension, to close the valves fast enough. (you may need Ti valves to make them light)

If you have noise issues... we were all running Basset wet boxes. They exit out the transom, just at/under the water line. That helped keep it quiet at idle. Mine were cast aluminum, and had a hump in them, to keep the water from flowing in.

im actually online looking through some options for this engine...the engine has been well maintained but it was never built for power...just for a cool look and sound in a fast boat basically...but aboat like this needs to fly and thats my style..im definetly going to go with rollers and have the lower windaged just to play it safe..why type of srring tension would i be looking at to hit my rpms?
i wont have noise probklems around here...they are very good about letting you do whatever except on private lakes..

I would NEVER spin the Rocket 455 to 8k, leave that to the big boys! And, I wouldn't spin a Chevy past 5k either. The olds needs to be massaged if you plan on running it hard though, start with the oiling system, the block itself is better than the Chevy but the stroke is longer so you can't expect it to turn, it's a torque motor.

Back