Copper ATV instructions? (new Welch pugs done)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinLamb

Besides cleaning off what is left of the old residue do I just apply the Permatex Ultra Copper to both pieces, bolt the ring back on and then let dry for 24 hours? (96XP)Pipe & ATV.JPG

I clean both halves and lay the copper ring in the pipe, put a nice flat 1/16"+ ribbon of copper RTV and put it together. I only put it on what you see there. Make sure the 2 lower pipe screws are loose so you can align the pipe halves. You can see I already have the clamp on there. I like to have the nut on the top but have the clamp rotated so it's kinda forward. Just enough room for a deep socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet. NO RTV on the upper gasket. Then install the head pipe on the stud and align the 2 halves. Put the clamp on loose but holding both halves equally with the nut on. Then fit all the head pipe screws and snug them so the pipe is square to the exhaust mani. Then snug the band clamp, install the head pipe support off the mag housing and begin to tighten everything down.

404.jpg

Last edited:
Great instructions and photo. Thanks so much. P. S. Super-clean engine. You also just showed me how to replace those oil line that get paint cracked. Could not see through the paint - was unsure how they attached to the fitting from the Factory.

404.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Racerxxx - hold on a sec - just saw something in your post - you say "lay the copper ring in the pipe," put a nice flat 1/16"+ ribbon of copper RTV and put it together. Are you saying there is another pre-fab copper ring of some kind that you buy and then you put the RTV over that? I do see a "sealing ring" listed in the 1997 Shop Manual (item #16 in the diagram) but I am putting together a 1996 XP.

Last edited:
Keep digging, you'll find it. Take a straight blade on edge and drag it around the lower pipe. Once you dig thru the schmoo you'll see it, unless someone removed it.

Keep digging, you'll find it. Take a straight blade on edge and drag it around the lower pipe. Once you dig thru the schmoo you'll see it, unless someone removed it.
Thanks - maybe it is still attached to the part that is still in the boat - I won't be able to see the XP till tomorrow - but now I know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back