Converting back to the oil pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jparadise81

After much thought Ive decided I dont want to deal with premixing and will convert both my skis back to using the factory oil pump. I have a 96xp and a 94sp that were both converted to premix when I bought them so Ive got a few questions:

On the 96xp I plan to replace the oil line to the pump and the oil lines to the carbs. Im at work and want to order the parts, can someone tell me what size oil lines I need and approximately how much? For reinstalling the oil pump is it basically just putting the white plastic shaft back in and bolting the pump to the motor and connecting the oil lines? Anything else need to be connected? I'll prime the pump and lines before bolting it on. ANything else I need to do?

On the 94sp 587, I have no clue...I havent paid much attention to this motor as its been running fine. Is running premix on this motor basically the same as the 787 where you just have to remove the plastic shaft from the oil pump?

The oil lines on both ski's is 3/32" tygon for the injector lines and I think 5/16" for the main line. The 3/32" injector line for the 787 you will need about 5' and just 2' for the 587.

One the 587 the oil pump drives off of a gear (just under the carb(s), there's probably a block off plate there now.

If you need parts try 99spxxx he's in TX, or minnetonka4me.

Lou

make sure to bleed all the lines, and for the first tank, I'd run premix as well, then change the plugs after the first tank.

in case of air bubbles.

Thanks for the replies guys. Pics are very helpful too. Where does that cable that connects to the oil pump go to? carbs? I dont have that cable!

on the 951s the throttle cable actually goes to a little black box that has 2 cables (and some wires on the 951) coming out of it. I imagine the 787 is similar. You need a cable to pull the oil pump open as you pull the throttle.

I got my last cable from SBT for $100 I think.

To bleed the lines; once you bleed the line TO the pump:

1. remove spark plugs - grounding the wires for safety
2. shut off fuel valve
3. hold thottle wide open (this will open the oil pump all the way)
4. use the starter to spin engine 30seconds at a time max to push oil into the small lines.

once oil reaches the carbs, put the plugs back in.

with the throttle all the way open, very little if any fuel will be pulled in. there is almost no vacuum at low RPM and WOT. which is why the fuel pump squirter thing exists.

717's and 787's the oil cable attaches to the linkage on the carbs., minnetonka and 99spxxx should have both. The linkage on the carbs. should be there since it's part of the throttle assembly.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
ANd I would think it will cost much less that $100.

587:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-GTX..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item5654e2ca84&vxp=mtr

787:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/145-96-SEAD...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338204ef11&vxp=mtr

These are just mentioned as a guide. I have not done business with either.

I would recommend any of our parts guys. They will ask what you have and send exactly what you need. Look for JetskiGoodies, MinneTonka4me, or 99spxxx on here. I have used them and they are very helpful.

Those pics up there from kicker of the hoses are from that engine, regardless of which ski it's in. The length may vary a little from ski to ski but only a few inches to a foot.

I want kicker working on mine...you could eat off that bilge dude, very clean.

[MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION].
$15 shipped for both the XP and sp cables? Do you have the gear for the sp? I've got the shaft for the XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back