Cobra Jet-Steering on 230 Wake

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FloorStreet

Hey guys,

Been awhile...was away snowboarding...but its almost time to get back on that wakeboard :hurray::hurray:

Last season we definitely had some bumps in the road when it came to launching/recovering the boat (low-speed issues)...I'll post some pics of the damage later to see if there's any tips on fixing the stuff myself...

So anyway, my dad is pretty interested in getting the Cobra Jet Steering to improve the low speed handeling. Do any of you guys have any experience with CJS on seadoo boats? I know yam's basically have to have them, but I haven't really heard of anyone putting them on a seadoo.

Any thoughts on it? Good choice? Bad choice? Won't make a difference?
Useful but not really worth the money?

I don't have the Cobra steering system but I'm familiar with it and have been on jet boats fitted with them (Yamaha's). I find my 230 SE more maneuverable than these, and most boats I've driven (and I've driven my share while in the coast guard). It really takes a little practicing (just like any other vessel).

When I initially took delivery I spent a total of 5 hours (in 2 days), just practicing around the launch, docks, and buoys to get manuvering front/reverse down. We have tight tolerances in some of our ramps, but I've yet to get myself in trouble.

While the system will help, I believe a little practice may save you money down the line which you may not need to expend.

Good luck with the boat.

Went ahead and bought some, they came in the mail a little while ago. Good, prompt service so far. Still haven't found time to install the fins but I'll take pics and let you guys know how it goes.

This year I feel pretty comfortable with the boat now so its not like I really need them, but hopefully they will help the boat track better when entering the boat slip and keep it straighter so we don't have any future mishaps. Little bit worried that they might hinder the boat's ability to turn in one spot, but hopefully that won't be the case...we'll see

keep you guys posted

So we installed them about a month ago.

They go right on the jet nozzle tips with about 5 bolts for each. However, 2 of the holes can't really be drilled/installed unless you remove the nozzles. We didn't want to mess with that so we rolled the dice and just went with the back 3. This is a bit sketchy because the 2 we ignored hold down the front of the fin mount, so without them it seems water might rush in and tear the fins off. We just siliconed the gap and kept our fingers crossed. Pretty ghetto installation but only took about 1 1/2 hr. at a lazy pace.

After about 3 weekends of use they're still on and seem to be fine.

As for the difference, they definitely help with both low and high-speed handling. I'd say for $200 its worth it if you want a little better handling, but its definitely not a necessity. These boats handle fine without them but the fins do helps make sharper turns, especially for spinning around to pick up a boarder for example.

Overall happy with the purchase.

will post pics soon.

Floorstreet, do you happened to do any tow sports? Wondering if the cobrajet fins would help keep the boat's stern a bit more stable behind a slalom skier?

Yeah I wakeboard behind it. I don't think we really ever had that issue because the 230 wake is pretty heavy and sits low especially with the ballast tanks full. Also, wakeboarding is done a bit slower than slalom skiing and makes less consistent, less aggressive turns so its hard to say.

With that said, I doubt it would make a huge difference in that regard. But then again I'm usually riding not driving so I'll ask my dad and see if he noticed better stability after installing the fins.

How has the wake been on your boat? How much ballast are you running? Does the ballast make a big difference in the wake size/quality? Any pictures and/or videos you could share with us?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have wakeboarded a bunch behind my buddies Yamaha 212SS and I am considering purchasing a 210 Wake. I don't have a good feel for how much better the wake gets on these jet boats once you add the ballast and haven't found one nearby to hitch a ride. I know a true v-drive wakeboat will be better, but I like the all-around fun a jet boat gives you as long as the wake is pretty decent with ballast.

Thanks!

Hey, the ballast gives the wake a steeper ramp and larger size for sure. Our boat sucks up 1,000 lbs under the back seats. You definitely notice the difference. I used to get injured everytime we pumped it up because I couldn't adjust. Its not a HUGE difference, but its definitely noticeable and does improve the wakeboarding.

A lot of the time I don't even bother filling up the tanks, but lately I have been just for that extra boost. However, the feature that I'm most thankful for is the PerfectPass cruise control system. Being able to set and maintain a constant speed is so incredibly important in this sport. I'd say more than the ballast tanks, pefect pass is my favorite feature of the wake series boats for sure. But hey, you get'em both, so its a pretty sweet deal.

I'll try and post some videos soon but check the attached pic, doesn't really show the wake, just a little air I got.

I don't know how intense you're trying to get, but for me, its been working out pretty fine so far. I still haven't ridden behind anything else for comparison, but I'm still happy.

I remember when we were first thinking about buying the boat I was a bit skeptical because neither seadoo, nor any boat reviewers, showed any extended footage of actual riding behind the boat. I just looked again and found this footage of some guys riding behind a 210 wake...check it out if you haven't seen it already. Driving looks a bit sketchy and riders aren't so good but its probably the best example your gonna find of what the wake behind a 210 wake looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3RM9eB4cio

But when it comes down to it, you don't need a "professional tow boat" with a monster wake to land some sick tricks, you just need some time and practice, check out this vid to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1o2yfaw4o
(as you can see, the 210 is probably putting out a bigger wake than in that video, so you should be fine)

Attachments

• SeadooForum.jpg
    SeadooForum.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back