clear fuel lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodInEscondido

I have started on a project involving 4 older SeaDoos: 89/90/91 SP and 98 GTS.
There are black fuel lines on all of them, but they are very hard
There are what appeared to once be clear oil lines in places, now almost black and hard

I would like to replace all with clear fuel line, I also see various other colors of fuel line and various wall thickness, but would not consider anything that was not stated as being used also on the pulse line to the fuel pump.

I have researched this on numerous sites including experimental aviation sites and it seems completely doable and safe. The Rotax is widely used in experimental aircraft.

Has anyone else done this? Results?

The only place I see where pressure is a factor is on the pressure side of the fuel pump, am I missing anything? I will do pressure/failure tests on whatever line I use and post the results here if anyone is interested?

I've used blue clearish lines for the cooling exit lines, it looks neat and u can see bubbles going through it... long as it says fuel line.. if it doesn't, i wouldn't use it... they may not hold up, and what's the point of seeing the fuel? if it's not getting fuel, u will you know!

It sounds like you definitely should replace all the lines if they feel hard, oil and fuel.

You would not have to worry about pressure in the carb engines, which it seems is all you have. These are all low pressure lines so regular non-fuel injected rated lines would be fine. I have seen plenty of others use clear lines for the fuel lines, and I myself have clear oil injector lines, although they are tinted yellow. I use, as do many others here, Tygon 3/16 ID for the oil injection lines.

Just make sure any lines you use are rated to carry fuel products.

You should replace all fuel lines. There are about 15 to 21 feet of line in each ski. In my GTX it took just a tad over 20 feet to replace them all including the vent lines and about 20 clamps. I would install an in-line fuel filter too and change the in-line oil filter if it has one, if not install one.

Mine uses 1/4 in black auto fuel lines.

You may need 60-84 feet of line to do all 4 skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the Tygon hose at a local hobby shop that sells RC Cars. You can buy it by the foot then. I believe it is very common to hobby shops that do RC products. Doc always make sure to tell people not to buy hose designed for glow-fuel so I will pass that along as well.

I was able to get it at ACE hardware. It is used for weedeater's and such.

my wife tried for me. they matched the OD and not the ID... waste of $$. maybe i'll give it a try myself next time.

that was a few months ago, i think i tossed them.... it was like $5 or so... my engine is out now, if i get a chance i will. my old lines are fine (02), but i like knowing they are 'new'

I used all clear lines on my 97 GSX and will do the same on the GTI this winter. I got them from fast flow at fuel-lines.net . They held up great so far and it's nice to see oil and fuel going where it needs to go:)

Clear fuel lines are fine for all of us inland sailors. If you are subject to Coast Guard inspection, be careful. While automotive hose is not CG approved you are more likely to get a pass. Clear fuel line is not CG approved and is a definite no no.

I'm not saying don't use it, just saying the Coast Guard doesn't like it. If you use clear use Tygon.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back