Cleaning my 1997 sea doo gti after riding in the ocean

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcharmello

I live about 5 minutes from the beach and i want to start riding in the ocean. Can someone please give me some tips on cleaning, flushing and caring for the sea doo after i ride in the ocean. Can i spray water into the engine compartment to rinse off the engine and internal components? Should I cover the battery if i spray water in the engine compartment? Also, are there any precautionary steps i should take before putting the craft in the ocean? I would appreciate it if someone would respond. Any tips will help. Thanks

After each run, once you get home, grab your hose and clean the exterior with soap and water (if you're a nice guy) or just rinse. This includes anything that touched the salt water, including your trailer, life jackets etc.

After that is done, I turn the water very low and rinse the engine compartment. I've never bothered to cover the battery, and the terminals are still rusted.

After that just flush the ski with the flush kit, engine on then the water. Water off engine off.

You will notice the salt water is going to take its toll on the ski, but a good rinsing of whereever the salt water touched, will help you in the long run.

I'm sure other members will chime in with their thoughts.

EDIT:

Oh and precautionary steps... Don't hit rocks, and don't suck up sea-weed or sand. :)

Give the engine and engine bay a good clean before you go out the first time,Then wd the motor and any exposed parts.This puts a barrier between engine and parts and the salt.Redo it all when you have finished riding and also what Deejay posted.Maybe think about zinc anode blocks for the pump unit to help against electrolysis.When you have finished cleaning etc. spray the pump unit with wd40,wheel nuts and axle springs.This all helps against corrosion.Hope this helps

Yep... what they said is about right. BUT... I don't like WD-40... I use a silicone oil. (Seadoo sells a protector oil) Also... every once in a while... use a product like salt-away. It really helps keep things clean.

@DEEJAYSGTI you said the salt water takes a toll on the ski... can you elaborate on what you mean

@CRISSO what are zinc anode blocks for the pump unit??

@Dr Honda is silicone oil the same as fogging spray? can i use fogging oil instead of silicone oil? if not where do you buy silicone oil?

i use mine primarley in salt water in the gulf of mexico, i wash with soap inside and out then let it dry, i spray silicon on the electrical / motor and a wire dry i bought at autozone. motor still looks like new

Have a look at any of the outboard motors,and they have a zinc sacrificial anode on them.Mercs had the little trim tab under the cav plate that would corrode away.This helps to stop the big bits corroding.The metals,salt water etc. create electrolysis.Corrosion.The zinc blocks eat away BEFORE the rest of your boat parts.These little blocks(about 1" x 1")screw onto the ride plates or anywhere.It all helps.
I do know what the Doc says and I used wd40 as a good example.And I agree with him.I actually use lanolin sprays(lanolin is from sheeps wool)I suppose my point is to use protective products all the time.I have a 98 ski and the motor and pump and also trailer look great

Just an afterthought.ALWAYS check you engine mounts.Bouncing around off a few waves can do some real damage if an engine mount comes apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back