Check engine warning only at idle and below 15 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

skibum151

Hi everyone. I have a 2014 Sea-Doo Spark 3-Up 90 that has about 40 hours on it. I only use it in my local lake and have never had any issues with it until my last trip out. Everything was going fine and then the next time I started it I got the long beep and the check engine warning. I shut it off and looked in the engine compartment and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I filled the tank with 91 octane and put in a few ounces of Heet in case it was water in the fuel. I started it back up and got the same thing so I decided to drive it a bit. Above about 10 mph when I'm accelerating, the check engine light goes away and the ski runs perfect. Same top speed as always and engine sounds like it is running fine. When I slow down, if I get below about 15 mph the check engine light comes on with the long beep and the engine seems almost like its chugging a little, not the same smooth sound it usually has Also, when I first start it, it runs fine for about 5-10 seconds before I get the beep and warning light and before the engine starts chugging but as soon as I get above about 10 mph, like I said, it runs perfect and the light goes away. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Traditionally, the long beep indicates an overtemp condition. The Spark is a closed loop cooling system, so check your coolant level. One of the steel plates under the hull bottom is your heat exchanger ( just like a car radiator but water cooled instead of air), so running at speed is cooling the heat exchanger.....but running at speed with potentially low coolant level is not good.

Thank you for your response. I checked and the coolant level was fine so I'm still at a loss.
Sounds suspiciously like a blockage somewhere it the exhaust cooling circuit...connect a hose to the flush port (rear left side), start engine, turn on water and make sure water is flowing freely out of the jet pump...if not, you have a blockage somewhere in the exhaust system.

The engine cooling circuit is closed loop with coolant so you don't run water through the engine (like in the olden days).

Back