Changing my Exhaust?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple

I have posted something similar to this a few weeks ago. I have a 2000 GS. My exhaust comes out from the side in the back. We also have a 1997 GS and the exhaust comes straight out the back. The 1997 exhaust sounds really good (like a cam) when in idle. The 2000 GS is very quiet. I want to go thru the trouble of making the 2000 sound like the 1997. I know, I know,...why? I just do. So my questions are this:

1. The mufflers are not the same so will I need more than just the exhaust hose changed? The 2000 exhaust hose has a molded turn in it. The 19997 exhaust hose does not. If I order a 1997 exhaust hose and install it on my 2000 would that be all I need? Besides cutting a new exhaust hole straight out the back, this I know.

2. Where is the best place to buy the parts I will need?

I think the reason the 1997 sounds so good is because the exhaust hole is above the water line where as the 2000 exhaust hole is under water.

Any pointers or suggestions??

Yes it can be done exactly like you describe... I agree about the sound... We have a 97 gsi in my group and a 2001 Gs. The 97 definitely sounds better. In the younger models Gs hulls seadoo developed the " deci bell" system to lower sound hence the exhaust resonator( big black plastic exhaust peice). Just eliminate the resonator and you should have the sound you want. It should not change anything performance wise.

manolocross, so are you saying to remove the 2000 Resonator AND still move the exhaust hole to straight out the back? Or just remove the Resonator and leave the rest alone?
Have you done this?

Yes it can be done exactly like you describe... I agree about the sound... We have a 97 gsi in my group and a 2001 Gs. The 97 definitely sounds better. In the younger models Gs hulls seadoo developed the " deci bell" system to lower sound hence the exhaust resonator( big black plastic exhaust peice). Just eliminate the resonator and you should have the sound you want. It should not change anything performance wise.

manolocross, so are you saying to remove the 2000 Resonator AND still move the exhaust hole to straight out the back? Or just remove the Resonator and leave the rest alone?
Have you done this?

So if I only remove the resonator and if that does not give me that sound I want can I put the resenator back on?

Yes just try removing resonator and it will change the sound. If you like it then go all the way and move outlet to out the back. What are you gonna do about the other exhaust hole by the jet pump???

Yes just try removing resonator and it will change the sound. If you like it then go all the way and move outlet to out the back. What are you gonna do about the other exhaust hole by the jet pump???

I will cover the old hole up and seal it off so water can't get in it. So when I remove the resenator and if I like that sound could I just leave it as is and NOT run the exhaust hole out the back? Would that be ok?

Well I removed the resenator and re-routed the hoses correctly to muffler but it did not change the sound one bit.

Well I removed the resenator and re-routed the hoses correctly to muffler but it did not change the sound one bit. ��

I am interested in pics of all this stuff. I am not familiar with the layout on anything other than the GS and X4 style hulls with 787 but would be interested in seeing what you are trying to change.

I thought that might happen because the waterbox is a different part number... You will have to get a waterbox from a 97 gsi or Gs... It didn't change sound one bit?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back