Challenger heat exchanger drain plug

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

briancayko

Does anyone know the size of bit required for the rideplate on 2010 Challenger?
200.jpg

That's not the ride plate, that's your heat exchanger (radiator in car terms) drain plug. It's a PIPE PLUG SOCKET HEAD 1/8-27 NPT. 1 of mine stripped out when I tried to remove it. Had to use an extractor to get it out. Replacements are cheap.

Haha! Ok. Thank you for helping me with my terminology. I knew what it was for just not it’s proper name I guess. Thanks for that info…I ended up using a T30 that worked pretty well but before that I tried an Allen wrench & could see it possibly stripping pretty easy. I will order up some replacements so in 2 years I can replace them. I couldn’t find the info in the manual but perhaps my terminology was steering me wrong there as well. Thanks for the help.

That's what this site is all about.....helping fellow Sea Doo owners.

In the upper right hand corner of this page is the "Sea Doo Parts" section. Awesome place to search for parts and diagrams. In this case you would have found your boat and checked the cooling section. Part 34 in this pic I believe.

Parts FInder.jpg

Just as FYI. I was able to find these pipe plug sockets. 1/8-27 NPT @ Ace hardware for $1.20 a piece if anyone needs replacements.

On mine, I tilted the nose of the boat up and from inside the engine bay just removed the cooling hoses and let them drain out. I had a 5 gallon bucket to catch the coolant. Then flushed new coolant into one hose and let the old drain out the other hose on the heat exchanger. My plugs were frozen solid and as you can probably tell, trying to drill the plug out is a PITA.

I think they may be aluminum so I will double check. Can you explain why they need to be ss? I don’t understand & would love to gain that knowledge. Thank You.

Any piece of hardware you put on your boat should be SS or aluminum due to the wet/salty environment boats live in and also due to galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back