Challenger 1800 starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brushmore

I have an odd issue with my starboard engine. It was rebuilt and I had it running for a few seconds but now I can't get it to start back up again. The odd thing is that when I hit the starter button it will turn over as normal until it fires and it just stops turning over. To confirm it only happens when it fires up I disconnect the spark plug wires and then it will just keep turning over. Port engine is working fine so I've ruled out the battery. I am guessing it might be a timing issue? How can I check for that?

Did you intend to say that the starter keeps turning over? I'm a bit confused with the description of your symptoms.

The engine stops turning over as if something just put a big brake on the engine and if I keep holding down the start button after that I can hear the starter motor spinning free as if not engaged with the flywheel.

At first I thought it was the cheap aftermarket starter so I tried again with a rebuilt OEM starter. Still the same problem.

It could be a bad ground to/from the starter, check ground at the battery, and at the starter.

I checked the ground and that seems good. I checked the continuity from the spark plug to the negative battery terminal and no problem.

Here's a video that helps explain what I am seeing.

man, I apologize, sounds like the bendix not engaging long enough, you will get more informed help on here than I have given you.

Still perplexed by this. Some more info. Using the zerk fitting as a rough timing mark, the engine is stopping at the same place in the cycle. The zerk is either at 0 degrees or 180 degrees when it stops. The other thing is that this stopping only happens when the PTO cylinder spark plug wire is connected. So my theory is that when the PTO cylinder is firing that's when it stops?

I am afraid the next step is to pull the engine again but looking for ideas before I have to go through that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back