Challenger 180 Range Check

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xintersecty

This is the longest trip I ran on my engine since I replaced it last year.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6906778

46 miles aprox boat running time 2.5 hours

Fuel tank is 28 gallons (well I thought it was 18). 215 HP model
Estimated use 15 gallons

That puts me at 6 GPH running 6000 RPM at around 20 MPH (GPS)

My computed speed is 18.4 and considering my computed and estimated speeds are close I seem happy. I may be able to make the dam on one take from my house. And that is a real end to end trip.

Does my numbers seem legit? I am looking for the best RPM/fuel economy giving me the most range.

Never tried long distance runs, but was out today and noticed your rpm/speed is a bit off from mine. 6000rpm cruised at 29/30mph on gps, 20mph was 5300rpm. Fresh wear ring and two people in 08 c180 215, near calm lake.

Never tried long distance runs, but was out today and noticed your rpm/speed is a bit off from mine. 6000rpm cruised at 29/30mph on gps, 20mph was 5300rpm. Fresh wear ring and two people in 08 c180 215, near calm lake.

That's great feedback. I bought an used Faria RPM Gauge and don't have a way of checking it. I need to fix the input grate and that should change the RPM. I have been looking for a digital gauge that I can cross reference with a multi-meter pulse function.

Your mph at 6000 rpm is way low. At 6 grand my Lowrance says I'm going 29/31 mph depending on tides, wind and sea conditions. That's with full gas and two people. Installed new wear ring and new Solas 14/19 impeller last year. Something is not right with your Seadoo.

Specs from a Boat Test.com 2008 Challenger new boat

Plane time -3.9 seconds

Cruise Speed at 6000 rpm 24.7 mph

Top Speed 43 mph at 7800 rpm

See the full test for yourself: http://www.boattest.com/review/sea-doo/1799_180-challenger-se

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mph at 6000 rpm is way low. At 6 grand my Lowrance says I'm going 29/31 mph depending on tides, wind and sea conditions. That's with full gas and two people. Installed new wear ring and new Solas 14/19 impeller last year. Something is not right with your Seadoo.

Specs from a Boat Test.com 2008 Challenger new boat

Plane time -3.9 seconds

Cruise Speed at 6000 rpm 24.7 mph

Top Speed 43 mph at 7800 rpm

See the full test for yourself: http://www.boattest.com/review/sea-doo/1799_180-challenger-se

6200 RPM for me is 32-33mph

6500 RPM is 35mph pretty consistantly

Just quoting Boat Test. I get much better speed than BoatTest, 29/31 mph at 6 grand.

Depends on Conditions for sure....the OP definitely has some issues on the go if he is only getting 20ish MPH at 6000 RPM.

We will all agree it should be very high 20s or low 30's at that RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have enough data to get the RPM calibrated and of course fix my grate. So any numbers on long range trips. Like GPH and millage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back