cavitations after change of motor mounts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bart051284

Hey all I have a 96 seadoo spi 587 and I tore out my motor mounts. I installed new mounts got the alignment tool aligned the engine put everything together at put it on the water. As soon as I got out of no wake zone gave it throttle and it cavitated pretty badly with a slight grinding noise. I bought a new drive shaft and new bumpers hit the PTO with grease went out and rode for the whole day bit this time cavitations seemed like it was a bad wear ring. When I took it out of the water looked at it and wear ring looks in great shape. I'm leaning towards a worn PTO but many people have told me that I am probably getting air between carbon ring. Any input and advice would be much appreciated. Also the pump and impeller I put on were not the same ones I used prior to engine mount replacement.

Normally, if it sucks air out of the hull it will also allow water into the hull.

Run it without the seat and see if you can see more than a few drips coming in at the seal. Or, do the wire tie trick to see if it improves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect what happened is the old motor mounts caused the engine to be misaligned which caused uneven wear on the carbon seal, when you put the motor in proper alignment it caused a gap in the carbon seal.

Here's a trick I tried about 3 years ago, and it will only work if your carbon seal is in good condition. Pull back the bellows and apply a liberal amount of valve lapping compound I used a popsicle stick, to the carbon seal. This should take the glaze of off the carbon seal, and hopefully close the gap. I won't guarantee it will work but you've really got nothing to loose, and it did work on mine.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back