Carburetor help: Can I interchange 787 carbs from one machine to another

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP8001996

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Sea Doo XP 800 that needs some new carbs. I have the old ones, but they have some rust in them and I got them all taken apart so I was just thinking of getting some good used ones off eBay. My question is: I am having trouble finding carbs on eBay that came from a XP 787, but there are plenty that came off of a 1997 SPX 787, GSX 787, and GTX 787. Since they are all 787 engines, can I put carbs from a SPX 787, GSX 787 or a GTX 787 on my XP 787 with no issues? Any other websites you guys now of where I can find good used carbs for under $300?

Thanks in advance

I am new to the jet ski world, but I will say it depends on how the carbs are set up as in, jet size, pop off pressure, maybe other things. There are others that know a whole lot more than I do that can tell you better, you should be able to check specs in service manuals for the different ski's, possibly different hull designs, drag, weight, etc could make minor differences in the setup of the carbs. You can change jets, pop off pressure and other settings, so I think they should work as long as you do your homework and make sure all is the same.

They should bolt right up. Either way I would tear down the "new" carbs and go through them, make sure its super clean and the diaphragms are in good shape.

Yep anything off a 787 should work, just a word of advice, I would try to find a set pre 1997 without the accelerator pump, to me the accelerator pump is a PITA and you won't notice any difference in performance.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
The carbs will bolt right on. I would verify the jetting, high and low sped adjusters and at the minimum go through the carbs. You don't want to put on "new" carbs that have clogged filters and ruin an engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carbs will bolt right on. I would verify the jetting, high and low sped adjusters and at the minimum go through the carbs. You don't want to put on "new" carbs that have clogged filters and ruin an engine.

Okay. When you say verify the high and low speed adjusters, you mean make sure their clean? Or the same as the ones from my XP? So you think these carbs would work on my engine?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-XP-..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item5af4e2d579&vxp=mtr

Yes they will. You will need to go through them 100%. They still have the grey tempo lines on them. Verify the adjustments and set the according to spec

How about you post some pics of your carbs, worst case send them to Doc Honda and have him go over them.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

How about you post some pics of your carbs, worst case send them to Doc Honda and have him go over them.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Ditto. I had a set with some rust in it also, hit it with a stainless wire wheel with a Dremel and it blasted it away. Pics pics pics

A 96 and 97 GSX calls for a BN 40I-38 and the 97 GTX and XP call for a BN 40I. Anyone know what the difference is or what the 38 stands for?

The only difference with the carbs that came on a 787 were the accel pump.

People complain about the accelerator pump clogging and stuff, but Ive yet to see one with any problems, maybe one clogged sprayer.

The advantage I like about them is you can use it as a primer and spray gas down the carbs when cold. Then grab the choke and it pops off on the first rotation.

As long as the settings/jets are correct for accel and non accel sets, they will work.

The 98-99 SPXs and most of the jetboats had a 5/16 gas inlet line...only other difference.

As others have said though...if they arent too bad they can be cleaned up fairly easy. Use a pick to clear out the rust in the "T" of the screw before you try to turn them. screw extractors make quick work of a stripped screw head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back