Carbon Seal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

sam301

HI There
i have a 2011 GTS 130, approx 120hrs.
From time to time when flushing i get a horrible vibration from the carbon seal. And carbon dust sprayed through the hull. the guys servicing have said that its common for this to happen during the flushing stage and is not anything serious. That said does anyone have any advice on how to prevent it from occurring.

sam301

When flushing, you should only flush for a very short time. Just enough to clear the salt water from the heat exchanger and inter cooler if you had one.

Were talking like a minute or so. If you need to run it longer then you need to have water spraying on the Rabin seal. The body of water you are in is what cools the seal. It MUST be cooled or it destroys itself.

So yes, it is normal to see carbon dust if it isn't being cooled/lubricated. But it will destroy the seal to do so.

I have seen others fill their hull to the seal with water to keep it cooled if they needed to run the ski for more than a few minutes.

Back