RESTO Carb adjustment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd1234

Gentleman I am having trouble adjusting my carbs and I was wonder which screw is what on the carb it’s a 1996 seadoo gtx 787 and how many turns out they should be

The low speed screw, the one with the Tee adjuster on it, should be one full turn out from fully closed. The high speed screw, the small one on the opposite side of the carbs, should be fully closed. The popoff spec is 23-43psi. I hope that helps.

I’m having some technical difficulties with i was running it pretty hard and the mag piston flooded out but the pto piston did not I also just loosened up the oil line that I had way to tight so hopefully after some adjusting it will run good

Well in that case, make sure you check to see where the carb needles are set now. If they are way out of adjustment, that could be your issue, but if they’re at or close to the factory settings, we need to dig in and see what’s causing it.

If one cylinder flooded out you have a major carb issue, not an oil issue and you need to take the carbs apart and check.

Yes, that’s where they should be set. You really need to go through them and see what the cause of the one cylinder loading up is though...

That should not be enough to cause the loading up on that cylinder that you’re describing. Unfortunately I think you’re looking at something more serious than a carb adjustment...

I’d start by pulling the carbs and installing fresh OEM Mikuni carb kits along with new needles and seats. Reuse the old spring for the needle arm, and see if that does it. Follow the carb rebuild sticky and it’s a pretty simple process.

Could it also be that I had to oil adjustment set way to tight or would that just make it make it smoke a little more and not effect it

It's possible if it was dumping full oil all the time.
Although I have seen a few skis run perfectly fine with a broken cable causing the pump to give full oil all the time and all they did was smoke a little more than normal. It should not foul a plug at WOT.

I rebuilt carbs with genuine Mikuni rebuild kit followed all the specs as per the book and I melted the crown of the pto piston I think I’m going to go with a oil block off plate and go premix

I rebuilt carbs with genuine Mikuni rebuild kit followed all the specs as per the book and I melted the crown of the pto piston I think I’m going to go with a oil block off plate and go premix
Premix won't help if you are running lean, you'll just melt the new pistons also.

The only thing I could think of is an oil issue that I’m not getting enough to that piston the mag looks great the pto piston is practically dry

If it is dry, it's a fuel issue.

Did you rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni parts?
Did you test pop-off and leak down on the carbs?
Did you replace the fuel selector and strainer o-rings?
Are you running the gray Tempo fuel lines?

The oil pumps don't typically fail. Is oil filling the little 3/32" oil lines?

I checked all of that and used the Mikuni parts I replaced all the gray lines last year with new black ones and I can see oil in the lines I’m completely at a loss with this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back