Carb adjustment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerwho

I have the old school bn38 round body carburetor. My problem is the seadoo will run fine with slight throttle and full throttle but at idle it dies out. The carb has been cleaned and rebuilt, the fuel pump is supplying just fine. Wondering if an adjustment is all I need. Does that one needle and spring supply idle fuel? I rebuilt 2 carbs at the same time and copied the adjustments of the better one to the carb having issues. I believe the needle was backed out an extra 1/4 turn originally.

That's a great question, don't have a vacuum gauge. The pump filled a completely dry system rather quickly though.

Very helpful page! I now know what pop off pressure is, thought it was something else:crazy:
Either way I don't have a proper way of testing that. I'm fairly certain the low idle screw just needs proper adjustment.

Very helpful page! I now know what pop off pressure is, thought it was something else:crazy:
Either way I don't have a proper way of testing that. I'm fairly certain the low idle screw just needs proper adjustment.
"low idle screw"...... just some terminology here to avoid some confusion....carb(s) typically have a LOW Speed needle and a HIGH Speed needle.

There is usually also an IDLE adjustment screw....this is not part of the carb but rather a screw on a lever to slightly keep the carb butterfly open (mechanically) a hair to keep the engine running at idle.

So, after everything is put back together after whatever work was done with the carb(s), you typically have to "adjust" the idle screw to get the ski to run in and out of the water at a certain idle speed (typical settings being 3000 rpm out of water and 1500 rpm in water) and you also need to sync the oil pump as well (if so equipped).

I believe this to be a reasonably accurate description of the components, but more knowledgeable contributors with regard to carb(s) will correct my statements if I erred too badly...I hope I didn't though as I've learned so much here.

Hmmmm, do you know how to sync the oil pump? I didn't touch mine so it should be fine but doesn't hurt to check. My pump is activated with a split in the throttle cable.

Hmmmm, do you know how to sync the oil pump? I didn't touch mine so it should be fine but doesn't hurt to check. My pump is activated with a split in the throttle cable.

Attachments

• Oil pump adjustments.pdf
    420.3 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back