Cannot get boat to Start, No DESS beep but motor turns

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvardaky

I cannot get my 1997 Challenger 1800 to Fire on either engine, The bilge light stays on the dash and the DESS will not beep (Chirp) ready nor will the Gas gauge show life. The motors will turnover with DESS in place but I cannot get it to fire. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, I'm about to lose it on the boat.......Thank you. TV

I cannot get the engines to start or fire, the starters are working and the motors are turning over but not firing at all.
I've check to make sure the gas lines are on. I've check gas level. its good. The DESS not chirping when its in place is disconcerting and the dash dials not lighting up is too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... Why don't you start over with your description, with exactly the method, of what you are doing, and what you see. Thre reason I say to do that is... your first sentence says..."I cannot get my 1997 Challenger 1800 to turn over on either engine."

Then, at the end you say "The motors will turnover."

So... what is it?

I cannot get the engines to start or fire, the starters are working and the motors are turning over but not firing at all.
I've check to make sure the gas lines are on. I've check gas level. its good. The DESS not chirping when its in place is disconcerting and the dash dials not lighting up is too.

OK... so they "Turn over" but don't start.

The beeps aren't any indication, since the buzzer is know to just give up. (a common issue)

Have you checked for a spark? Have you checked the fuses to make sure the gauges can work? (I would check all the fuses, including the ones behind the battery switch)

As both engines are doing the same thing, you are after a common link. As Dr Honda said, test for spark as this will eliminate many of the potential issues.

If you have spark then we know we are looking for a fuel issue, and,,, it must be a common link.

Let us know about the spark or no spark..

The fact that it turns over means that the MPEM recognizes the key and there is no issue with the DESS.

I doubt that it is a low battery as there is enough volts to turn the starters / engines.

That said, the MPEM requires a minimum of 10.8 (I think) for it to operate...

Well, mine did the exact same thing, it would turn over but not start, no mpem beeps, but charged the battery and it worked perfectly.

Well, mine did the exact same thing, it would turn over but not start, no mpem beeps, but charged the battery and it worked perfectly.

With a quality starter it is conceivable for 10.8 volts or so to crank the engine as it is nothing more than an electronic motor. It does not really care about how many volts. At 9 volts it would TRY to start but probably could not crank the engine. My point is, the MPEM requires a minimum or it simply will not turn on or operate per say..

So,, your suggestion is certainly worth eliminating at the very least..

With a quality starter it is conceivable for 10.8 volts or so to crank the engine as it is nothing more than an electronic motor. It does not really care about how many volts. At 9 volts it would TRY to start but probably could not crank the engine. My point is, the MPEM requires a minimum or it simply will not turn on or operate per say..

So,, your suggestion is certainly worth eliminating at the very least..

Well it's worth a try.
I'm not going to argue with one more experienced that I.
Like said before, check all the fuses

Well it's worth a try.
I'm not going to argue with one more experienced that I.
Like said before, check all the fuses

I'm not arguing,,, not at all.. I think the odds are low, but there are still odds it could be a low battery. With Seadoo's the starters normally require very good voltage and very good amps. That is why I am leaning away from a low battery. But again, it is certainly possible if the starter and connections are all very good.

Well the only reason I say that is because when I'm wrenching on my challenger (today) I'm running the radio, and I killed the battery to that point again where the mpem doesn't beep and the gauges don't work. But it cranks over perfectly, and won't start. It's done this to me multiple times.

Well the only reason I say that is because when I'm wrenching on my challenger (today) I'm running the radio, and I killed the battery to that point again where the mpem doesn't beep and the gauges don't work. But it cranks over perfectly, and won't start. It's done this to me multiple times.

if your running down the battery that much, be very careful how you charge the battery and the correct battery charger, nothing powerful or the MPEM will go pfft...

if your running down the battery that much, be very careful how you charge the battery and the correct battery charger, nothing powerful or the MPEM will go pfft...

Battery comes out when charging because I'm afraid the mpem will go if I don't. But I'm not going below 9v so it shouldn't hurt it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back